My Malawi Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kholton

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, this tank isn't really very new, but a few of the inhabitants are, so I figured I'd share some pictures that I took today! They're not very good quality, but you get the idea. : )

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Due to the limitation of 8 images per post, I'll have to add the rest in subsequent posts...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This is my make-shift sump that I made out of a 58quart Sterlite container. I have about 10g in there, and since I have another filter in there I can disconnect it from the main tank and use it as a quarantine tank if I need to.
ry%3D480

Just a picture of the overall setup. (you can imagine how cramped space is in the dorm with a fishtank taking up half my closet! (and a sump on the floor of the other half)
ry%3D480

I decided to throw these in here too. It's my 10g (not fully set up yet) tank that sits above my desk... I'm waiting for my LFS to have it's half off sale before I buy the Apistogrammas.
ry%3D480

My little neons are barely visible... And my poor little java ferns... I'm trying to rescue them. :)
ry%3D480

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! (I need some way to convince my fiance that these fish are worth the time/money)

Thanks!

~Kaden

Looks great. Tank is definitely too small for those fish, I hope you're planning on upgrading to a 4' tank very soon. If it weren't for the size of the tank, I'd think it was one of the nicest African tanks I've seen.

Haha... Well thank you. I appreciate it! As for the size however, I realized pretty quickly upon (re)joining AA that you guys don't believe in overstocking... I'm sorry to inform you that I won't be upgrading the tank...

Info on keeping Malawi cichlids 1
-see the section on aggression

I'm sorry that everyone seems to disagree with me, but I don't see the problem with overstocking. The water is always of good quality. Trust me, I test it at least every day, and if there are even traces of nitrates I do a 25% water change, and yes, my roommates hate me for it. I'm sure it's annoying to have the 50ft python slung across the floor every other day or so. And I realize that the space issue is somewhat less than ideal, but how is it any different than the stores that (most of us) buy the fish from in the first place? I'm not really going for a natural biotope look, I just want my tank to look nice and have healthy fish.

I'm sorry for my rant, it wasn't specifically aimed at you, I'm just trying to get my point across to everyone. And I've been the subject of several pointed statements lately (not from you mfdrookie) that haven't really made me feel all that welcome in my return to the forum.

Sorry,

~Kaden

My comments were not related to overstocking in the least. They were regarding the fact that your fish are very active swimmers, and will be cramped (to put it in a very nice way) in such a tiny tank. I have nothing against 'overstocking' an african tank, there's just too much info regarding aggression as you pointed out, so thats not an issue for me.

Like I said, tank looks nice, I just feel for the fish in such a small tank.

Okay... I do understand that point. And I've attempted as much as possible to alleviate that issue. (as you may be able to see in one of the pictures, I'm not sure) I have a large spray bar oriented vertically in the tank that creates a very strong current in the top half of the tank. (being a hex tank, it holds the current very well because of the lack of 90degree corners) And admittedly, the fish seem to spend a good amount of their time swimming against that current (for lack of open space to swim) I guess in my mind I felt that that in a way made up for the smaller size? Because it creates an "endless pool" sort of deal. :)

I think your fish look beautiful and appear to be healthy! I also like how you have the stones layered. Nice work! (y)

I'm not a big fan of tall hex tanks, and yes, it may be too small for your fish, but if it works for you, roll w/ it! :D

As far as trying to convince your fiance' to accept the tanks, eh, good luck w/ that one! lol

Haha, thank you very much! And well yeah, she likes the fish, and she's interested in them as much as I am, I think she's just a little worried about the financial side of fishkeeping... Especially because moving from here, to an apartment this summer will mean... Well more room for tanks! lol. :D

(Oh, and trust me, I'm no fan of tall hex tanks either. I hate it, but it was given to me, so how much can I really complain?)

Back
Top Bottom