my new 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanberry19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just set it up...i bought my tank used on craigslist. It came with with the filter, bubbler, heater lid/light and the log...i added the real chesapeake bay clam, conk, and scallop shells...the blue rocks and the boat ( which is actually a soap dish)....now for plants and fish...maybe some crabs...

ForumRunner_20120826_202554.jpg

ForumRunner_20120826_202611.jpg

ForumRunner_20120826_202629.jpg

Whatcha think? What plants you suggest???

Hi..Have you cycled the tank before adding your fish?? I'm not sure some of the items you have in the tank are safe for aquariums with the materials etc. Hate to sound like a jerk, but maybe I read too fast and seems your just throwing it all together without researching? Sorry if I'm worng. Just don't want you to end up with dead fish :(

Cwabby said:
Hi..Have you cycled the tank before adding your fish?? I'm not sure some of the items you have in the tank are safcyce for aquariums with the materials etc. Hate to sound like a jerk, but maybe I read too fast and seems your just throwing it all together without researching? Sorry if I'm worng. Just don't want you to end up with dead fish :(

Yea its been cycling for about two weeks and itll be longer til i put fish in...i honestly didnt do to much research on the stuff i put in it, but i did clean the heck out of it...i guess i should do more research... Id hate to blow money on fish...

Cwabby said:
Hi..Have you cycled the tank before adding your fish?? I'm not sure some of the items you have in the tank are safe for aquariums with the materials etc. Hate to sound like a jerk, but maybe I read too fast and seems your just throwing it all together without researching? Sorry if I'm worng. Just don't want you to end up with dead fish :(

Ok, so i googled it and it found out as long as i clean the shells off they will be fine..any salt left will be so minimal it wont hurt the fish...the boat is made of wood( i believe, it floated til i sunk it) .... With driftwood being ok and fake decor, im pretty sure the boat is fine...

bud29 said:
Was there ever soap in the soap dish? What did you clean your materials with?

I found a site that instructed me to clean the boat with bleach, rinse it really good, let it soak in hot water, scrubed with dawn dish detergent and then soak again...the shells i used dawn and boiled them....the boat has never been used...

Well..good luck with the tank. Taking care to make sure everything is up to aquarium standards can be a pain, I know. There is so much to research really. Maybe a good start from scratch read on proper care of decor would be beneficial to your new fishy friends when you get them. You don't want to deal with wood rot if that boat is made of some weird wood or if the paint isn't good. From what i have learned, it's safe to put in 'aquarium approved' decor only, that way you don't poison the fish. I scrubbed my decor in water with a little brush then let it soak in a bucket with some water conditioner before putting in tank. That kills any chlorine etc. off of it....Ok enough babble, sorry for know it all posting. I certainly don't know everything. Just research more so all will be healthy and happy :) This place is great for info! Helped me a great deal.

Cwabby said:
Well..good luck with the tank. Taking care to make sure everything is up to aquarium standards can be a pain, I know. There is so much to research really. Maybe a good start from scratch read on proper care of decor would be beneficial to your new fishy friends when you get them. You don't want to deal with wood rot if that boat is made of some weird wood or if the paint isn't good. From what i have learned, it's safe to put in 'aquarium approved' decor only, that way you don't poison the fish. I scrubbed my decor in water with a little brush then let it soak in a bucket with some water conditioner before putting in tank. That kills any chlorine etc. off of it....Ok enough babble, sorry for know it all posting. I certainly don't know everything. Just research more so all will be healthy and happy :) This place is great for info! Helped me a great deal.

No reason to apologize..thats whi i joined, was to get y'alls info...i have had a tank in 4 years so i need the help..i know things have changed.

Back
Top Bottom