New!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting new fish for my newest tank tomorrow! I'm getting 3 Platies, 3 Mollies, 3 Swordtails and/or a Pictus Catfish.

Pictus cats need schools of 6 plus also get fairly big 6 to 8 inches but just an fyi. Research research research

Greenphantom said:
Yea I had a school in my 125 and 2 of them were 7+ inches

Google it some sites even say a max of 10 inches but mine did not get that big in my tank because I got rid of them they had a taste for small fish also I would never post anything if I was not sure of myself

Greenphantom said:
Google it some sites even say a max of 10 inches but mine did not get that big in my tank because I got rid of them they had a taste for small fish also I would never post anything if I was not sure of myself

I was just curious if you were sure. A group of 6 potentially 10" fish need a very large tank, so I was wondering where that number came from.

I don't need to be told to 'Google' it.

jetajockey said:
I was just curious if you were sure. A group of 6 potentially 10" fish need a very large tank, so I was wondering where that number came from.

I don't need to be told to 'Google' it.

And it came from a couple reputable sites off google like planet catfish

And it came from a couple reputable sites off google like planet catfish

Yeah, I've seen that before also. It doesn't mean a whole lot, but it should help weigh on a decision. There's a google butterfly effect that happens where one guy on a random forum somewhere makes a statement. Next thing you know, someone googles and finds this statement and uses it as qualification for his statement, and then another guy sees that there's 2 people making this statement, and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying that these fish aren't schooling, there are many schooling catfish.

What I am asking is what negative effects does having a single, couple, or trio of these fish have?

I'm leaning towards none because I know most people keep them in solos or pairs.

It's nothing personal, just hashing things out, that's how forums keep accurate information, everyone kinda bounces things off one another.

Back
Top Bottom