New tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vitacrux said:
Another thing you may try is burying the airstone under your gravel it creates a much different effect.

Oooh... I like the sound of that. I still have four unused airstones. Maybe I'll try that :)
Right now mines just intertwined with a decor to keep it under.

Just bought a gang valve today too.
Looks great and I like how it just sits on re side of the tank & out of the way. Nice!

adadkins1 said:
Like I had said I really like fish like German Blue Rams or Gold Rams. Are you wanting to combine cichlids or have like a community with a pair of them?

Thinking mostly community. My tank isn't large enough for oscars and terrors.
If only stores around here had rams.. I'll have to do some more research.

I would stay away from the Convicts in a 29gal unless they're your only fish. I once had two Black Convicts in a 40gal and as soon as they bred it was game over for any other fish in the tank. And they bred without any coaxing or anything. They were also only about 2-3 inches at that point. It's really disheartening seeing a whole 40gal tank used for 6 inches of fish (plus fry).

bstnrdsx said:
I would stay away from the Convicts in a 29gal unless they're your only fish. I once had two Black Convicts in a 40gal and as soon as they bred it was game over for any other fish in the tank. And they bred without any coaxing or anything. They were also only about 2-3 inches at that point. It's really disheartening seeing a whole 40gal tank used for 6 inches of fish (plus fry).

Very true. Heck I wouldn't want to have two fish for my tank...
Alright... So I'm thinking the assorted kind... An electric yellow (or two) and maybe a pair of snow whites?
By too sure yet.

Just letting you know most local fish stores will order fish in for you cause they get rid of them right away and make money most like it that way

ryan-peddle said:
Just letting you know most local fish stores will order fish in for you cause they get rid of them right away and make money most like it that way

Hmmmm. There's a really good store close to where im at. Little pricy, but I might be heading over later today.
They have a great reptile selection too.
Ever heard of a "red-eyed crocodile skink"? Looks insane. They even have lionfish and stuff haha.
Good store.

Crew said:
Hmmmm. There's a really good store close to where im at. Little pricy, but I might be heading over later today.
Ever heard of a "red-eyed crocodile skink"? Looks insane. They even have lionfish and stuff haha.
Good store.

I have one like that too! What's it called?

Crew said:
Good store.

I have one like that too! What's it called?

Crew said:
Ahh!
It's called the Aquatic life store methinks.

Ah, mines called aquatic and exotic pets. Darn. And to the mods, sorry about the double post. iPod acted up again.

Homedog98 said:
Ah, mines called aquatic and exotic pets. Darn. And to the mods, sorry about the double post. iPod acted up again.

Gotcha. I'm located in Florida. Haha... All the great driftwood is located on the other side of the country.

Very true. Heck I wouldn't want to have two fish for my tank...
Alright... So I'm thinking the assorted kind... An electric yellow (or two) and maybe a pair of snow whites?
By too sure yet.

I'm sure you could do that as long as the ones you get will play nice. You would eventually have to upgrade as about 5 years down the road you'll have 4 fish about 5-6 inches long in a 29 gallon. I kept one Socolofi in my 29gal (I think I said that already:huh:) and he couldn't have any tank mates since he claimed the whole tank about 6 months in. They are VERY versatile though and will survive just about anything. If you could get two snow whites that pair up you might be able to keep them in the 29 forever though.

Man you're making me want to do a cichlid tank again!:angel:

Ah. Then it is nott brackish... Unless my tap water is salty...
Thanks again.
I'll be on vacation from the 12th-28 as well.
Basically my tank will have been running for over a month. I think it'll be cycled.

The tank just running for a month is not going to cycle it. You need to have an ammonia source in it. With out an ammonia source you will just have well filtered water when you get back. Please read the article in my signature to learn about cycling a tank. It is not as simple as you may think.

spoonman said:
The tank just running for a month is not going to cycle it. You need to have an ammonia source in it. With out an ammonia source you will just have well filtered water when you get back. Please read the article in my signature to learn about cycling a tank. It is not as simple as you may think.

Ahh. It's been too long. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the info.

Just read it. I'm heading to the store tomorrow, will pick up a test kit, and as an ammonia source.. wil lthey sell them at my local fish store?

Last edited:
No. You won't get an ammo source from your LFS. Go to Ace hardware if you have one. Their brand ammonia is what most folks seem to be using. Myself included. Main thing is for it to not have surfactants in it.

Bud said:
No. You won't get an ammo source from your LFS. Go to Ace hardware if you have one. Their brand ammonia is what most folks seem to be using. Myself included. Main thing is for it to not have surfactants in it.

Thanks. I do believe there might be one around here. I'll check.

Found one close by. Checked inventory. Do I want Parsons 12 pack or Ace 6pack?

You won't need 6. I bought the only size they had and it's a 32oz bottle. My understanding is that it will last forever. Says:
Ammonia
Janitorial Strength Formula

I'll see if I can head Over and get it on the way home tomorrow. Thanks :)

So I've got the pure ammonia, no bubbles. And test kit.
Please run me through what I should be doing?

Back
Top Bottom