Newbie 55 gallon journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually it looks more brown than green to me, which would indicate BBA instead of hair algae. I'd go ahead and remove that leaf that you took the close up. It's badly enough damaged that it's better to remove it so the plant can focus on new growth instead of trying to repair that leaf.

I am going to do a trim today and get rid of the dead leaves with the algea on them. It is only growing on the swords... and just the dying leaves. Since I did a large planting 3 days ago i didnt want to stick my hands in the tank for a week or so. Thanks for the identification guys!

pics

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 47
  • dw1.jpg
    dw1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 64
  • dw2.jpg
    dw2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 48
I really like how this is developing. That's a great placement with the driftwood. I wonder how the other piece would look on the other side lying on its side, maybe at an angle.

angled left or right? That side of the tank has about 10 vals and 4 swords. I just finished my CO2 and levels are holding. I also started the EI dosing schedule with some flourish comprehensive for the micros so i am hoping the plants will fill that area. I was trying to mix the broad leaf Swords with skinny leaved jungle vals... the other piece is almost identical in size but as you can see its more of a branch shape.

this is the other piece of DW. The first full tank picture was the before pic.

Attachments

• dw3.jpg
    dw3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 95
Its Malaysian drift wood. My cousin uses a mass spectral something or another at his work. I had him test a scraping from this wood because each piece weighs about 8lbs and sinks without being soaked. He said it was basicly petrified wood... Is that good or bad. Mostly absorbed carbon is what he was telling me. I guess the wood wicked it from the water it was in. Maybe this will help my carbon levels in my tank. Wouldnt it be cool just add malaysian DW and you dont need CO2 injection... LOL

Its Malaysian drift wood. Is that good or bad.

I've got quite a few pieces of Malaysian driftwood in my aquariums, it makes great driftwood.

angled left or right?

Basically I was thinking with one part in the back right corner and then angled forward towards the front middle. Just something to add some structure, height, and movement to the right side.

Stand it on the right pointing toward the center.

That driftwood placement is awesome! It's like there's stone steps leading up to the archway.

THANKS ALOT!! I am gonna try the other piece of DW but maybe in a week i spent a lot of time with my hands in the tank that day and I dont want to stress out the fish again this week. I have a question do you see that power head on the right its not really for the UGF its actually my co2 reactor i wanted someones opinion on it. Here is a pic schematic of the set up. The UGF is non functional really it just creates a dead space under the substrate water is circulated by the power head on the left but the slats on the top of the plate are mostly sealed by a piec of plexiglass. (keeps the roots out of the UGF) I use this set up to distribute the weight of the decorations evenly accross the glass....

Here is pic

Attachments

• UGFCO2reactor.jpg
    UGFCO2reactor.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 59
Tannins... So will my filter pull those out? or should I add some activated carbon? And a question since the tannins lower the ph would the addition of CO2 lower the ph to an unsafe level?

Tannins... So will my filter pull those out? or should I add some activated carbon? And a question since the tannins lower the ph would the addition of CO2 lower the ph to an unsafe level?

In a 55G I doubt you'll have much issues w/ tannins, if you do reg PWC's you prob wont be able to notice it as far as coloring the water and PH drop.

Carbon can remove tannins AFAIK, the reg filter media wont remove it

Gracias, its not that bad but my PH has gone down, ~7.8 to 7.2 I kinda like the brown color =). Well see what I do with that. The Glowlight have also colored up i think as a result of the softer water? Who knows

Many fish react positively to the presense of tanins. For some it will even help encourage spawning.

It's prob. to late now but I would of removed the underground filter and would have never used it. You'll have to clean it out sooner or later and will uproot all your plants and it will be a pain, I would suggest not having one.

The UGF is actualy my CO2 reactor. There is a piece of plexi glass that covers all the holes on the top of the UGF plate keeping the roots from growing through it provides very little aeration . The power heads suck water from the upper area of the tank and feed it down under the UGF Forcing water down to where the CO2 bubbler is. Think HUGE CO2 bell. Its just an experiment. I actually plan on emptying this tank and changin out the substrate at some point. Here is a pick

Attachments

• UGFCO2reactor.jpg
    UGFCO2reactor.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 50
So i thought an update was in order. Since i put in the DW my water has turned a great yellow color from the tannins, and I think its better for it. My plants have really grown a lot my sword have taken off and are filling up the background splendidly i moved a lot of the Crypts out and into the QT tank kinda as a grow out tank. And I bought some corkscrew vals (was told they were jungle v.) and they never really took off... I got my CO2 up and running and the plants are all the better for it. Stock hasnt changed much i had a few stressed out glowlight tetras die but they have been replaced. I am working on upgrading my bulbs and moving some plant mass around. When its done(by tuesday hopefully) I will take some pics. My son was born on 10242008 so its been hectic and the Tank has taken the backseat to being a father. I still enjoy my hobby, and i hope to get Austin (my new son) into it also. So Daddy and Baby are going to be doing a little scaping this weekend!

new pics with new growth. So this is after a 50% PWC to get the tannins down. the pics are terrible my tripod is now a bipod (my dog ate it LOL) So yest this would be the update. I am not a fan of how cluttered it all is and without any form BBBAAAAHHH. No algea though sucked a lot of detrius off the bottom. And i planted some moss and a couple "will not get any bigger no matter what i do" Vals in the top of the DW. Ill try for some better pics once i recieve my Rotala rotundifolia from CZCZ and cover up those ugle lift tubes on the sides.

Attachments

• HPIM1320.jpg
    HPIM1320.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 49
  • HPIM1321.jpg
    HPIM1321.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM1322.jpg
    HPIM1322.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 43
  • HPIM1323.jpg
    HPIM1323.jpg