Newbie 55 gallon journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wife bought me a 55 gallon tank with stand pluse a HOB filter, heater, 2 powerheads, canopy with ligts, and undergravel filter for 100.00.

I plan on moving the stock from my 29 FW setup to the 55 and doing a Nano reef in the 29 (maybe a year from now).

Current stock

2 fancy tail male guppies
4 fancy tail female guppies
5 Neons
1 molly (my neices fishie)
1 african frog (my nephews fishie)
1 pleco 3"

Ill be moving them and the plants i have to the new tank.

My questions are:
Lighting suggestions (kind of a budget build) my canopy has two lights in it will "aqua grow" bulbs suffice for a few swords and som java moss?

Co2 injection or rather DIY plans for the catalyst

Thanks pics soon

here is my very crude drawing of the plan ill have actual pics tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG00088.jpg
    IMG00088.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 79
You'll want to aim for about 2WPG or 110 watts to grow swords in a 55 gallon. The Java Moss would be fine with half that.

The Pics

These are the progession

Attachments

• HPIM1057.jpg
    HPIM1057.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 88
  • HPIM1064.jpg
    HPIM1064.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG00090.jpg
    IMG00090.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 88
Tanks coming a long nicely! What HOB filter are you using... Just Wondering?

Whisper 30-50 but thas gonna change i am running it with just some bioballs and now filters for now. I may just leave it that way i havent decided, since it's used the impellar is kind of loud.

so i got what i think is java moss from my LFS today. It was labeled "moss ball" ill take some pics and upload maybe someone can help identify it...

So i think my cycle is almost complete
A=0
Trites=0
Trates=15
PH=7.8

Ill do one more amonia dump and see what happens =)

I noticed today that my background in the 55 looks wierd you can see it in the last set of pics and tips or advice on making it look better?/Brighter?

New pics!

So here is the moss in question as well as the "rock formation" Ill prolly move the rest of the 29 gallon over tomorrow or next week i dont know =(

I dont want to kill or shock my stock to bad.

Attachments

• HPIM1071.jpg
    HPIM1071.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 89
  • HPIM1077.jpg
    HPIM1077.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 80
  • HPIM1078.jpg
    HPIM1078.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 66
is that not what i said? thank u 4 any response- Talked to my phd chem. bro.tonite--
he said- nothing is a closed system, our atmosphere is 4% co2, open this up to ambient atmospherics, u have the natural light--let er roll- too many people are over anylitical- over controling - and over manipulative" made sense to me. So it is on w/ simple program KISS

For the background. Spread a thin layer of vegetable oil or petroleum jelly on the front, apply it to the aquarium, then use a credit card or similar card to smooth out the bubbles. It will make it look great.

THank you so much it worked great. It seems that my big cycle is complete, i am gonna add a few more plants fot the mini cycles and then slowly move my other fish over to the new tank, I hope they all make it!!!

New friends!

Just left the LFS I am still too scared to stick my current stock of fish into the new tank... Cycle seems complete but I dont want any of my friends to die. So I purchased some black skirt tetras 5 actually and the are goin in, along with 6 neon tetras. So well check all the specs in the morning and hopefuly everyone makes it thru the night!

So opinions on my stocking plan
Black skirt tetras - 5
Neon Tetras - 10-15
Veiled Angels - 2 (loooking for a maited pair...)
Female Guppies - 5
Male Guppies - 2
Mollies Asst F 4
Mollis Asst M 2

Pleco 1
catfish 1
ghost shrimp 5

Not overstocked right?
or am i going overboard?

It's not overstocked, but it is pushing it so you'll definitely want to keep up with testing and pwc's.

On your bottom dwellers: instead of a pleco and a catfish, how about a school of 5 cory cats (they come in lots of varieties) and 3 otos (for algae). I think this combo would be more exciting and fun to watch.

That sound like a better idea the corys and the otto's

Ill have to keep sampson though (my pleco) hes about 4 years old and still only about 5" (i dont knoe if he is a he or not...) But he is fun to watch and not scared of anything swims to the top of the water when you put a finger in, he'll even come suck peas from in between your fingers if you hold still =) kinda cool.

Thanks!

I would just like to say thank you to happygirl65 for sending me some new plants as soon as they are in and organized ill post more pics!

Everyone has been so helpfull and have made setting this tank up correctly a wonderfuly easy experience

Ok i ordered some new lights they will be in soon and i should have my plants today or tomorrow so new pics soon! Hopefully...

last night I moved the rest of my stock to my new 55gal the guppies wont stop hiding in a group in the corner, maybe they'll be better when i get back from work =) .

Or for the background you can go get yourself some black matterial. I found a piece of heavy cloth at walmart for a dollor that I use.
When it gets dirty just throw in the washing machine and your good to go.

10 g. 1st tank ever-- still working on 55

Yesterday i released two of my 5 scout goldfish into the lake behind our house. I bought two dalmations, two barrrell bellied mollies, and 2 fancy guppies. ( the last of big spenders) Oh and i forgot 4 ghost shrimp.
Today was banner! I had a betta floating in a cube and released him into the tank- all is well, no hostilities. Out of the lake, i plucked some floating vegetation, 5 snails and 5 clams--oh lest i forget, a water roach too. I left the house about 6pm and did not turn on the light, when i got home and turned on the light the system was a web of activity. The shrimps were all out doin their thing, the clams were all moved, the snails had started to work the sunny side of the tank and the waterbug was just hangin' in the greeen weed. There were even some new frye about, probbly from the grasses. This is such a gas, (nitrogen cycle), i'm like a kid in a candy shop.
One of my buddies, un peu askance, stated "that's a geriatric hobby"
. Oh Well!
i am going very slowly, researching every step, we(I have a partner, Geraldine, in the 55) have decided on the substrate composition for the live tank, topography, and decor. more on that, as I fear i am being long winded.
Thanks to those who responded when i first joined, i must have seemedlike an idiot puppy chasing his tail-- some better now:D

NEW PICS!!! with the plants from happygirl65

so here are the pics its preliminary as far as the arrangement goes. give me your opinions please. Sorry about the crappyness of the photos eh.

Attachments

• HPIM1088.jpg
    HPIM1088.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 64
  • HPIM1089.jpg
    HPIM1089.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 53
  • HPIM1090.jpg
    HPIM1090.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 55
  • HPIM1091.jpg
    HPIM1091.jpg