Tarkus2112's "Epic 55 Gallon of Superbness"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarkus2112

Aquarium Advice Activist
So as some of you may know, I had a thread before but..... I decided to start a new one. My last one is outdated and all of the pics were deleted. Let's try this again. :whistle:

I will start from now and continue forward. This is how the tank looked over the past weekend (8/06/11) after a good cleaning. Tank was originally setup in October of 2010 and nothing has really changed except new occupants.

THE TANK (8/06/11)

I still love it but I'm thinking of re-scaping and maybe changing to something else. Cichlids are starting to look fun and challenging. I want to buy two 10 gallons or maybe two 20 gallons (dual metal stand) and move all my fish over and start anew with the 55 gallon.

Oh god! The MTS is taking me over. I actually rearranged my bedroom over the weekend to free up a nice little space for some new tanks. My living room is completely full and unless I start moving furniture I have to improvise. Pretty bad isnt it? Luckily I live alone. haha :lol:

For reference. This is the old thread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/tarkus2112s-epic-55-gallon-of-superbness-135732.html

MY OCCUPANTS (as of 8/09/11)

8 Glowlight Danios (Danio Choprae)

8 Albino X-Ray Tetras (Pristella Maxilllaris)
4 Oto Catfish (Otocinclus)
3 Cherry Barbs (Barbus Puntius)
2 Amano Shrimp (Caridina Multidentata)
1 Male Betta (Tarkus)

The only recent picture is of the X-Ray Tetra. I picked them up last week. All of the others are a few months old.

Glowlight Danio

X Ray Tetras

Otocinclus

Cherry Barb

Amano Shrimp

Male Betta

Really nice tank! 
Your water is crystal clear, that is what I look for in a nice tank. 

Really nice tank! 
Your water is crystal clear, that is what I look for in a nice tank. 

Thank you! :D I put a lot of thought and heart into this tank.

Basically all I do is:

1. Weekly water changes with a gravel vac.
2. Over filtration. 2 foams per filter and 1 bio-max. No carbon.
3. No chemicals used except water conditioner.
4. Tank is in a dark room with no windows. (basement apartment)
5. Low stocking density.

It really is that simple. I surprise myself sometimes.

Very nice pictures. The first thought that went through my mind was:

Teacher: Ok students, today in Biology class we are going to study the anatomy of a fish. Today's subject is the Albino X-Ray Tetra.

Teacher puts picture up on the projector.

5 seconds later...

Teacher: Class Dismissed!

Tarkus2112 said:
Thank you! :D I put a lot of thought and heart into this tank.

Basically all I do is:

1. Weekly water changes with a gravel vac.
2. Over filtration. 2 foams per filter and 1 bio-max. No carbon.
3. No chemicals used except water conditioner.
4. Tank is in a dark room with no windows. (basement apartment)
5. Low stocking density.

It really is that simple. I surprise myself sometimes.

You have the the same kinda master plan as me, except for low stocking levels. Keeping it simple and regular water changes combined with over-filtration seems to really work. Are you using a Aquatic Life HO T5 light?
Great looking tank!!!

You have the the same kinda master plan as me, except for low stocking levels. Keeping it simple and regular water changes combined with over-filtration seems to really work. Are you using a Aquatic Life HO T5 light?
Great looking tank!!!

Yeah. It is a little bright but works great. I planned on converting the 55 gallon to planted eventually. I just wanted to make sure I could do a fish-only tank right then take the next step. I figured it would be a good investment and it turns out it was.

I actually found a few good deals on 20 gallon tanks and stands on Craigslist so it looks like I might be going planted soon. I want to swap my fish over to the 20 while I plant the 55 then swap them back and do something cool with the 20.

That's how it works in my head anyways. :)

Tarkus2112 said:
So as some of you may know, I had a thread before but..... I decided to start a new one. My last one is outdated and all of the pics were deleted. Let's try this again. :whistle:

I will start from now and continue forward. This is how the tank looked over the past weekend (8/06/11) after a good cleaning. Tank was originally setup in October of 2010 and nothing has really changed except new occupants.

THE TANK (8/06/11)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/fulltankw.jpg/

I still love it but I'm thinking of re-scaping and maybe changing to something else. Cichlids are starting to look fun and challenging. I want to buy two 10 gallons or maybe two 20 gallons (dual metal stand) and move all my fish over and start anew with the 55 gallon.

Oh god! The MTS is taking me over. I actually rearranged my bedroom over the weekend to free up a nice little space for some new tanks. My living room is completely full and unless I start moving furniture I have to improvise. Pretty bad isnt it? Luckily I live alone. haha :lol:

For reference. This is the old thread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/tarkus2112s-epic-55-gallon-of-superbness-135732.html

Great tank! It's beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom