33g reef tank pic. Home made rock after 8 months.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vertex

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thought I'd post a picture of how my tank is coming along. I got a lot of help on this forum starting out and it has payed off. Thanks AA! Easy to maintain finally now and everything has been doing good for some time.

I had built all my own rocks for this reef and here is what it looks like now after 8 months in the tank.

img68050tj.jpg

Do a search for "agrocrete." It's basically a way to make porous manmade rocks with concrete. Over time, it will become "live" with bacteria. It has its pros and cons.

Thanks fetcher!

DeFeKt, ya, there are a couple of good articles on making your own rock. Lots of info on the www.garf.org site (they call it aragocrete) and I found mine originally from http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6279/RaiseCementRock.html.

As far as advantages:
1.Its more porous than most purchased rock if you build it right.
2.Its as cheap as cement and oyster shell
3.It can be made to the exact types of sizes and shapes as you like
4.It grows coraline algae fast with both aragonite or oyster shell base
5.And did I mention its cheap!!
6.After months in a tank, it looks the same as any expensive purchased rock.

Disadvantages are:
1.Can be dense and not very porous if you build it wrong (bad recipe)
2.Can be too porous or weak and will fall apart if you build it wrong(bad recipe)
3.Takes about 8 weeks to cure in freshwater that you must circular and change the water every 24-48 hrs.
4.Takes months to grow coraline coverage.
5.Takes a batch or 2 to practice to make nice forms and shapes for what you want.[/url]

Back
Top Bottom