First SW Reef 125G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I have a Coralife with white and actinic bulbs and a fluval reef and Marine led. I need to get the small versions of the same ones because it's a 6 foot tank. I definitely plan on adding more rock and Coral.

I got my refugium this week, but have to wait to set it up to the tank due to an ich outbreak, ugh. Lost 2 fish, my blue hippo Tang and my diamond sand sifter and my royal Gramma is sick and my Firefish is missing. Hopefully I'll see him today. It's my first real disappointment with this tank but I'm not going to give up.
All of my water parameters are good. I lowered the salinity and raised the temp some and have been dosing 8.4, rally, and kick ich but didn't know I had to remove the filter media so it wasn't doing what it was suppose to. I believe that if I'd removed the media everything would've been good because I noticed it right off. That was a lesson learned. I just hope I don't lose my favs which are the clowns, black sailfin blenny, or the McCoskers Flasher Wrasse. Fingers crossed.

First, stop dosing. There isn't any reason to dose a system with anything you aren't testing for. You can crash your system.
I don't know what 'good' means. Are there any algae issues in the system? Do you see any bullying?

No bullying. Some diatom but not much. Just tested the water and the pH is 8.4, ammonia .5, nitrite .25, nitrate 20.
Yesterday ammonia and nitrite was at 0 and nitrate at 20. I think my purple Firefish is dead somewhere because I haven't seen him for 3 days and ammonia and nitrite spiked a little. I added alpha to remove ammonia and neutralize nitrite.

There is either not enough rock for a bacteria base to be established into or the tank wasn't cycled properly to keep the livestock presented. Any detectable ammonia or nitrite is toxic, deadly, and stressful to fish as it burns their gills.

I lost the royal Gramma and still haven't found the Firefish. Think the crabs ate him. 2 conchs missing and think that's why the spikes. Did a 40 gallon water change and added alpha and 8.4, and added a couple of air stones for added circulation and oxygen. The rest of the fish doesn't seem sick and seem happier now. ? Also put my skimmer back on.

Still adding live rock little by little and just about ready to start up the refugium. Just need to buy the sand and I'll be ready to go.

You don't need sand in a refugium. With 1 lbs per gallon, you won't get more benefit from more sand. Use all of the area for algae growth. More algae = more nutrient removal.
I'm still advocating against all the chemicals you are putting in there.
As for the firefish, the crabs and such probably did eat him. That is their job, to clean up the unwanted stuff that will rot in your system. A dead fish is just that. Crabs will get a bad name for doing their job when someone thinks a fish is healthy or will survive when it will not. Nature always knows.

Oh I hear you on that. I know what the crabs are for and figured that's what happened with the fish and crabs, especially with the outbreak. The chemicals I put in there​ was the 8.4 to raise the pH because I did the water change and the alpha is just like prime except it neutralizes ammonia as well but no other chemicals.

The reason I say the sand for my refugium is for the pods to populate it or does that matter and do you think the refugium will help clear the tank of the parasites? I do have a vase full of chaeto Moss, at least I think that's what it is. It was given to me from someone who used it in their cichlid tank.

Back
Top Bottom