Freak1456 150 Gallon Reef Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak1456

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All responses and comments are appreciated and welcome. So feel free to ask questions and comment.

This project has been in the planning, $aving, and gathering stage for about 2 years now. And to my astonishment (right after my first child was born) my wife tells me "you have been planning for long enough. Stop procrastinating and do it. I want my laundry room back". That is where the tank (my first purchase) has been sitting for the passed 2 years.

image-545603045.jpg

It caught me off guard. I figured this tank would be on hold for a few more years due to the baby. But I guess I have to do what my wife tells me :) and this time I won't be complain about it.

(Skip ahead if your only interested in the tank build)
This is my first thread so I will give everyone a little history of my aquatic hobby life. For as long as I can remember my parents have had freshwater tanks. Mostly Tetras and Swordtails. Nothing to exciting but there were always fish in the house. When I moved out I decided to get my first tank. One that I had full control over what went into it and how it looked. It was a 90 gallon long. I never really liked Tetras, there not exciting enough. So I got what any 20 year old who needed a little excitement in his fish tank would get. A pair of Oscars. . . I loved those fish. In about a year and a good 500+ goldfish later ( that was the exciting part) they were huge 6 and a half almost 7inch long. Then to much regret I got an assignment from work that sent me to Kansas City for a year. So I found a home from my Oscars and packed everything up in storage and left. While I was in Kansas City my wife (girlfriend at the time) called me and told me that when she was at Petco getting food for her cat the fish guy informed her of how simple (if you know everything about reef keeping) it is to keep a saltwater fish tank. So she picked up the 29 gallon starter kit. She had a cinnamon clown fish and a domino damsel and this horrible looking plastic tank decor. But I fell in love. As soon as I came back from Kansas. I jumped head first into reef keeping. Got my self a 20 gallon standard tank. I was staying at my parents house and they wouldn't let me set up the 90. I soon realized it is nothing like keeping a freshwater tank. The animals a extremely sensitive to water quality changes. Many many corals were lost because I no idea what I was doing. Needless to say but if you don't watch a nano closely things can get out of control very quickly, and are hard to get back under wraps. But that was close to 6 years ago and I have gotten my addiction to the hobby under control. No more spur of the moment buys. No more adding things to the water without making sure that they are needed. JUST OBSERVATION, AND SLOW CHANGES TO WATER CHEMISTRY AND RESEARCH!!!!!!

(STOP!!!!)
(STOP!!!!)
(STOP!!!!)
(I am getting to the build)
Now that u know a little about my journey through the hobby I will get to the build. As I said before I picked up the 150 gallon (48X24X31) from some guy off of cregslist. Awesome deal!!! $300 and he gave me the tank a few water pumps his 2 250 metal halides ballast with reflectors and 2 crates full of stuff. (Air pumps,fish nets etc.)

I got right to planning. The first optical i encountered was that the tank was already drilled with 2, 2 inch bulkheads on the side not the back.

image-4973404.jpg

So I came up with a plan to accommodate the already installed bulkheads. I don't want to risk cracking the glass by drilling new holes so this is the concept I have come up with

image-3939443488.jpg

It's a crude sketch but you'll get the point.

Step one designing the stand.
I want to place it in my living room to be viewable from both sides sense it has both large sides are free from plumbing. I also want to be able to access the sump area and top of the tank from both sides for easy access for feeding and cleaning. So the frame of the stand would need to be strong enough to support the weight of a full 150 gallon tank with sand and rock with no cabinet faces secured to it giving it stability. It also needed to be long enough to have an 18 inch wide cabinet on the left to hide the plumbing and hold a 20 gallon tall on the right for an exposed refugium. (I just like seeing all the life that goes into the echo system) this is what I ended up with.

image-1414802976.jpg

image-2545245385.jpg

image-214327909.jpg

image-315077602.jpg

This weekend I plan on moving the tank into place. My wife will be because she gets it out of the laundry room. And building my sump out of a 40 gallon breeder.

It's late here on the east coast so I will call it quits for tonight. I will post again tomorrow.

Sounds good, grats on the new baby and the new setup!
Looks like you got a great deal on the tank and goodies too, extra bonus. :)

What are your plans for stocking? Reef or fish only?

Definitely reef there is so much more that goes into it. I want to stick to a mostly SPS system but in my nano I have had no luck with them. So I'm kinda nervous about it. I know that larger water volume means slower chemistry changes. But I will need to test my skills slowly. I also want to grow everything from frags also. I always feel more accomplished doing it that way. I also plan on only buying captive bred fish and aquacultured corals. I personally do not want to cause any more damage to the natural reef systems of the world.

I want to show everyone the sump that I put together. This a got for an awesome deal also. Petco was having a sale on tanks and was selling them for $1 per gallon. So I snatched up a 40 gallon breeder as fast as I could. (36X18X16) Here are some pix of the process.

image-667475036.jpg

image-424415575.jpg

image-943932588.jpg

image-4160556170.jpg

Chamber 1 is split in half and is where my drain lines from my overflow will enter. These 2 areas will be filled with liverock rubble that the water will be forced to flow through.
Chamber 2 there are 2 platforms that will hold some filter foam to help capture particles and reduce micro bubbles. The water will then flow under a baffle into chamber 3. The live rock chamber. The water is forced up through the live rock and flow over another baffle. Chamber 4 is for my skimmer. It is a 12 inch by 12 inch area to hold my Euro Reef (Reef Dynamics) RS-250. U can see in the 3rd pix that I incorporated quite a few 2 inch tall vertical plates. This was done for 2 reasons.
Reason 1 - The RS-250 operates best in 6.5 to 8 inch water depth. And the last baffle is 9 1/2 inches tall so I can hold as much water in the system as possible. 2 inches of glass standoff and a quarter of an inch of egg crate will put me right in the middle of that range.
Reason 2 - I didn't want any dead spots in my live rock chamber due to rocks sitting directly on the bottom of the tank. So raising them off the ground give a clear path for water to flow smoothly under the chamber and rase evenly through the rock.
After going through the skimmer the water flowed under and over the last baffle into more filter foam and to the return chamber.

I am planning on drilling the side of the sump to install a non submersible return pump. But I'm holding on that till I actually get the pump and place it in the stand. I don't want to take up any space in my return chamber with a large pump so I have room for my 2 phosban reactors.

I am filming my build in time-lapse with my GoPro and plan on loading it on YouTube whenI am finished.

Got all 3 tanks in place now. I still have to put the floor on the inside of the stand but I wanted to show you all that's its coming together. Going to work tomorrow on plumbing.

image-2132142224.jpg

Love the idea on how you're going to hide the the overflow bulkheads! I might have to copy you if I and when I buy a hew house. :) great job so far

def following along!! im loving the island effect you are going for. itll be nice to have easy access to every side of the tank, instead of having to reach up and over the tank

I'm sorry for not posting for a bit, but it seems that I may need to put my build on hold for a little. All of the medical bills started poring in from the new baby. I can't complain to much it's only $4600 in medical bills (about $400 per month). . . For a baby that's not to bad. I know people that are in their 40s that are still paying off baby delivery bills. But all other medical expenses for the rest of the year are covered at 100%. . . i better go and get myself a physical to make sure I'm healthy before my deductible resets on January 1st lol. So the build is on hold until those get paid. There are a few things I have already have on hand that I can do in the meantime. (New GFI receptacles, 20A circuit breaker, and an exhaust fan)

Stay Tuned!!

That's called life my friend. After handling that the tank will be that much more fun!!! Oh and congrats I'm expecting my 2nd, a girl, in November!

Awesome!! Congrats also!!! I have waited 2 years already so what is a few more months. And I have things I can do that are inexpensive.

Yes there are some updates. To be honest I forgot that I had this build thread still going. I apologize to all that have been following. Over the holidays I received a pump for my closed loop system. I just am waiting on an order of plumbing parts to come in before I install that system. When I make it home. I will let you know the model of the pump.

I also have to get some friends to come by and help me take the tank down off the stand and take it outside for drilling.

image-3358979794.jpg

Oh and I also installed a bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling of the cabinet that I am going to tie into the control system so that when the temp in the stand gets above a certain level it will automatically kick on and pump that air our side. I'm thinking that I will only use that during the summer. In the winter I will probably just take the back panel of the stand off to let that hot air into the house. Might as well put that heat coming off the lights to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom