Gonapora question.... Updated Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was putting in a new UV sterilizer today and I noticed these bulges on the Gonapora. When my work was complete I investigated these bulges more carefully. It seems as though the Gonapora is shedding pieces of itself. I noticed that each bulge or ball contains around six tentacles and when that detach they detach from a single socket. Usually there is only one tentacle per socket.

I have had my Gonapora for just over one year with great success. Recently my Clown Fish has mistaken it for an anemone. The Gonapora still seems healthy even though he is constantly being pestered. Could the Clown be damaging the Gonapora? Is the Gonapora multiplying?

I have attached pictures.

Thanks,

Van

Update:

The arrow by the smaller Gonapora. The Smaller one is on the sand to the right. See additional photos in posts below.

I can not say for sure, but I think the clown is probably irritating it. I have had mine for several months and it has never done this. Keep us posted on how it does.

Nope, a dieing Flower Pot doesn't fall apart like that. I know from first hand experience. It definately doesn't look happy, but from what it looks like, it's spawning. However, the success rate of growing a baby FP is even lower than a full grown one. Who knows though, you may be the one to figure the thing out. (and try to find something else for your clown to bond to)

bmb4516 said:
Nope, a dieing Flower Pot doesn't fall apart like that. I know from first hand experience.

My first hand experience looked just like this when mine died.

Mine melted away as best I can recall. Of course I was out of town for most of it. I came back and I had a nice white skleton and thats all.

There are some experts whom belive these corals require 'dirty' water and most of our aquaroums are far to clean for them to find enough food.

There is also the possibility of asexual reproduction through polyp budding. Sometimes it's a stress reaction and sometimes not. Considering the health of the parent, I wouldn't be counting that out.

Cheers
Steve

I am with Steve on this one. My buddies Goniopora is budding right now, nothing wrong with the coral most likely, just that biological clock saying its time to make some more colonies :p

Back
Top Bottom