My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind for when it needs to happen. For now the next project is rock, which should get to my lfs in a week

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So algae is very annoying it just grows so fast. Worst part is it clogs up my province skimmer. Once a month I have to take the whole thing off the back wall of the tank pull out the pipes to get to the main sponge, remove algae and other materials from it, reassemble the skimmer and wait another month to do it again. I wish my shrimp would clean more of it, though I bet there full because of there small size they don't eat much.
A funny thing happened while I scrapped off algae from the pristine skimmers motor my cleaner shrimp started to clean my hand. He has never done this before and it was pretty funny watching him try to figure out to go at my hand.

Last note of update, I have a little diatom bloom in my sand under my rock holding the gsp. How should I get rid of it or should I just wait it out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Algae comes from excess nutrients in the water column. More water changes with ro/di water and cut back on feeding will start addressing this issue.
As for your shrimp, they will eat uneaten food but not algae. Them being considered part of a clean up crew isn't because they are algae eaters like some hermits and snails. Them doing things like cleaning up the dead skin off your hand like you experienced is what they do to fish when they stop at the 'cleaning station' that they set up to pick parasites and such off of fish.
As for the diatom bloom, are you sure it isn't the start of cyanobacteria? Saying it is in a low flow spot and after you talking about the algae issues would point me in that direction before a silicate consuming one starting off.

I'll do a water change tonight and feed them less. Is there a good way to do a water change? I use a gravel vac the problem is it suck up all my sand in the process.

I use a hose from a gravel vac and run it over rock and coral to pick up algae and gunk. One shouldn't disturb the sand bed.

So I should just bucket water out using a cup then? Or is there a better method.

Ok I'll go google what that means, are you saying scoop out the orange stuff on the ground, and to make sure I get all of it? Also the cup idea was for a water change.

So my scarlet shrimp molted. I noticed his skin up on a plant and he was moving around like nothing happened. I threw out the skin because I did not now what to do about it, but now I read that it's fine to leave in the tank, I'll remember that for next time.

My fire shrimp just finished molting :) I have read that molting is a good sign. I noticed I was having a red algae bloom so I'm adding a chemical cleaner to the tank to take care of it.

Molting when established in the tank is good. When it comes to new inhabitants they will molt as well. In my experience it'll be within a week.

So lately I have been cleaning up the tank, the red algae bloom stuff is almost done so I can turn my skimmer back on with out it over flowing. I noticed today that the reason my gsp was not opening a lot is because it had algae growing on it, I scrubbed it with a tooth brush but it still is there any tip to remove it. Also my hydrometer today said my salinity was 34, ha that's way off I think it's time for a new way to check salinity.

New rock and new coral ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469218006.922813.jpg
It may be hard to see but the coral is a frogspawn with 2 heads. My lfs had a deal $10 a head. I jumped on the deal when I got the rock. Right now it looks amazing not very green but I assume that comes from it being happy.

Here is some more photosImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469245270.993857.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469245284.184472.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469245296.420657.jpg
Also figured out how to sto shrimp from eating my corals food, place a net over it, it just stumps them. Does anyone know how long it takes for the coral to digest it food, because right now I have the net on top of (around it it's not touching it) the coral.

what coral are you feeding?

Acan, right now I'll remove the net when I turn the light on. I love the frogspawn I got the most right now.

There is no need to feed your photosynthetic corals. Your lighting, if sufficient, should be all they need. The food will just foul up your water and give you problems.

I know but they grow so slowly, and I read that feeding them helps them grow faster.

Do you guys think July frogspawn is in a good spot, I'm just worried it is to close to the glass. There is about 1.5 to 1 inch between the tenticals and the wall.

Back
Top Bottom