My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it is happy then it's fine. That and there isn't a need to speed up its growth if you end up killing it with water quality issues. Use the KIS effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I check my levels weekly there alway fine. My cleaner shrimp take care of left over food.

Got it,ill cut back I food I give at night so it will be enough for the fish and the few left overs the shrimp will have.

Going down to Kansas City for my sisters national softball tournament, I hope the girl across the street takes good care of my fish while I'm gone for 6 days.

Nah but I feed a little each day to keep them calm and prevent fighting. This method has been working for 4 years. I just slice a large piece of frozen brine shrimp into a very small piece and feed the tank that at night.

So I got back today and I ran into some issues. My tank had lost almost 4 inches of water algae was so thick it mesured a inch long is some area, the proline skimmer has weird yellow and orange algae that looked like rust, and the water was murky. After a hour clean up everything is back to normal and I have my salt levels up to where they should be. I now know to feed very little amounts and just feed the fish enough to keep them happy. My gsp won't make it I think, no matter how much algae is scrape off each day it comes back in larger amounts the next day. The new frogspawn looks great in the tank and it has become green after a week. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470020631.421780.jpg
Could a reason for all the water evaporating be that I was not here to add new water as the rest evaporated into the room. Remember I used to have a glass hood.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes,I have just a 40 and this time of year My daily top off is about two quarts.Plus reduced water level probably affected your skimmer.

Yah I'll be monitoring it more. So I don't think my gsp will survive to much is covered in algae and the areas I can scrape off with a tooth brush are not coming back. Would it help if I placed another pump in the tanking going the poisoned direction because right now the gsp is sheltered from my pump by the new rock.

Here a updated photo of my acan, it has really recovered.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470597196.273732.jpg
And before you ask about the algae on the rocks, yes I try to get rid of it but it keeps growing back so now I trim it basically, it adds some color to the tank.

Yep if you looked at early photos it was never this vibrant, I bumped up the salt add more light time, and removed the glass lid and everything is doing well. Hey how do you remove the orange algae in the sand I tried gravel vac but it does not get it, should I just try netting it out

Hey you guys know how to help my gsp, algae keeps growing on it since I added the rock. Could this be a problem of the flow from the pump being blocked by the new rock? If so should I get another pump and aim it down at the gsp. Here is a photo of the tank right now ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470634950.141926.jpg also am I better off just getting rid of it and getting a coral that is fine with a very low flow?
Edit- just read up on ways to fix it, it needs a stronger flow, so I have to remove the cool rock going right and put it some where else, I'll figure it out in the morning.

Moved rocks around and ended up getting rid of the gsp. After moving the rocks around to create flow I found our the gsp was too big to put place anywhere, the only spot would be point blank to the frogspawn, which would have been bad. The rock does not look as pretty any more but it was necessary move. Let me know if you guys have any idea on a coral to replace the gsp, nothing green though.

So after moving rock and things around my tank looks like thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470964046.449736.jpg I was wondering if I should move my acan up to the left side of the tall peak of rock to prevent encroaching algae to get it. Would it be good to get another pump to put on the other side of my tank as well?

Multiple powerheads are always a good idea. They will help create a more 'chaotic' flow pattern which can mimic nature much more accurately than one.
In terms of moving it, that would be up to you. If it is happy where it is then I wouldn't move it from the location. When it comes to algae, I could rather address that than a happy coral.

Ok, I'll get some more power heads I was thinking of one blowing in the other direction. I moved the coral last night to see if it like the other spot but I may move it back. Also how should I deal with the algae on the rocks, I go at it with a toothbrush.

Ok, I'll get some more power heads I was thinking of one blowing in the other direction. I moved the coral last night to see if it like the other spot but I may move it back. Also how should I deal with the algae on the rocks, I go at it with a toothbrush.

Yep, toothbrush should help

Here is a good question, what do you guys do with frag plugs. My acan is still on his original one. Also is it better to get a bunch of corals all at once or get one wait awhile then get another.

Back
Top Bottom