my 8 month old reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
I changed from cichlids about 8 months ago and this is what I've gonehome with and comment would be great

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121121_200804.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_200804.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 167
  • ForumRunner_20121121_200821.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_200821.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 164
Nice job.. I'm about 2 weeks into my nano reef, so far, lol, it smells disgusting, I have a ton of worms and I just started getting a colony of colonial feather dusters... My levels aren't quite stable yet. Any tips other than 'be patient'?

Ah thank you very much foe thw comment. And what have you been Clinton your nano tank and what have you in it other than worms.

Steo the great said:
Ah thank you very much foe thw comment. And what have you been Clinton your nano tank and what have you in it other than worms.

Have you had a few beers? Cause I'm not certain what that was supposed to say!! Lol. Clinton did what? I have some bristle worms in my 55g reef, none in the 30g. In my 30g I have a small cleaner shrimp, a 1" oscellaris clown, a Firefish, a yellow headed jawfish, an orange striped cardinal, a half-black angel, and a chalk bass. It's probably a little overstocked, but 3 of the fish are nano fish, so it's working out well. And the water params are great, no hair algae or cyano issues, so it's been great.

Beengirl said:
Have you had a few beers? Cause I'm not certain what that was supposed to say!! Lol. Clinton did what? I have some bristle worms in my 55g reef, none in the 30g. In my 30g I have a small cleaner shrimp, a 1" oscellaris clown, a Firefish, a yellow headed jawfish, an orange striped cardinal, a half-black angel, and a chalk bass. It's probably a little overstocked, but 3 of the fish are nano fish, so it's working out well. And the water params are great, no hair algae or cyano issues, so it's been great.

Oops meant what have you put in. Stupid predictive text.
From the start of my reef tank I've been using redsea products. And there brilliant. Lil expensive but the best product I've used.
My friend and I started our reef at the same time and he currently has algae and I have none and zero nitrates. If you want to find out more ill tell you what I used.
I know many on here dont like to use chemicals but worked out well for me

I've been using Kent nanoreef 2 part starter, amquel + for water conditioner and added the recommended amount of marine biozyme when I first added water. I have 10lbs of dolomite mixed with crushed coral, 10lbs of fine grade aquarium sand, 5lbs dried/ dead live rock, 10lbs live rock. Since I have an established 40g FOWLR I grabbed some loaded live rock from that tank. I still have my shrimp in the tank and I used a couple gallons of cycled water from my puffer tank too. I use instant ocean reef crystal salt mix. I did not use caribsea or any 'live sand'- I have absolutely no problems with any of it- in fact I had a successful instant cycle using live sand and rocks and purified seawater along with marine instant cycle (had some help from my saltwater lfs on filter media, bless their souls). I'm trying my hand at propagating the old fashioned way because I really want to have a successful reef with lots of coral, macro algae, anemones, inverts, I won't be putting any fish in seeing as though it's only a 10g.. All that being said, I currently am at the beginning, but with the jump starts of bb I got I currently have a decent CUC, small sifting stars, baby colonial feather dusters, bristle worms (I don't care who things they are ugly I think they are neat looking), sponges, a couple patches of unknown variety of purple macro algae, calc worms, etc. My table shrimp is still rotting away and I'm still trying to stabilize nitrates (currently at between 10-40ppm). I'm expecting an ammonia spike from adding some live rock rubble... That was a mouthful... Anybody have any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom