Oscarr's 20G Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These were taken right after I filled the tank. Water is still cloudy and corals are pissed off but everything's in there. Still some coral to place and rocks to play with but I'm trying not think about it too much. It's only temporary anyway.

15178192508_096abe1bb7.jpg
[/url]

15341759406_808ee909db.jpg
[/url]

15178263137_00626664b7.jpg
[/url]

New corals today. Nothing special but I got them for free.

I've got some blue Xenia, blue, purple and orange mushrooms. I've also got a doughnut coral and a bubble coral that are not doing too well at all so I'm hoping to rehab them.

Way ahead of you lol I don't want it to invade my tank. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

I've been so busy as of late, but I finally found time to get some pictures! Unfortunately, they're some cruddy iPhone shots with my blues off. The colors aren't the nicest like this but I'll get some better shots eventually, I promise :)

These are the corals I rescued and have been doing wonderfully. Anyway, without further adieu, here are the shots.

The doughnut coral. Since I've gotten it, the flesh has been growing back at an impressive rate.

15473778225_a98536f566.jpg
[/url]

The bubble coral. I'm not sure how I should expect this to grow but it's doing extremely well. It readily accepts mysis and reef roids.

15473439792_7ef127c9ea.jpg
[/url]

Finally, I initially thought these were blue Xenia but they look more like clove polyps.

15470653541_281496926d.jpg
[/url]

That blue coral looks like blue sympodium.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ah! and so it is. Thanks for that guys :p the picture really doesn't do it justice, it's a gorgeous coral.

Have you got some hank? I'd love to see a shot of it, if possible.

All my old pictures are on the computer I just replaced a couple of months ago. I'll see if I can grab a nice shot tomorrow when the lights are back on. I remember when these guys showed up in the market when I was just getting started, totally going nuts for the stuff. I had one colony in my original 36 that came in with 2 nudibranch on it that found it delicious. I ended their lives, no matter how pretty they were as well. When I upgraded to the 55 with the Radions I accidentally nuked them along with many other coral.

Thankfully the prices had come down some by that time and picked up another small piece that has continued to grow and do well in my sandbed.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to it. It's pretty cool to have a relatively new coral to the hobby.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to it. It's pretty cool to have a relatively new coral to the hobby.

It might have been around before hand...all I know is when it showed up for 50 bucks for a couple of polyps that fit inside my thumbnail. If only those prices stuck with it like some of the expensive zoas that people go nuts for.

I hear ya, those 30-40$ a polyp frags are gorgeous, but crazy prices. It doesn't seem to stop some of us though! :p

This one lfs near me has single red hornet polyps for $60. My friends just got 16 polyps of them at the frag swap for $25 lol

This one lfs near me has single red hornet polyps for $60. My friends just got 16 polyps of them at the frag swap for $25 lol

Your friend got a good deal! $60 a polyp is too high for any zoa IMO.

Yeah that is a good deal. I don't think I'd ever spend over maybe 30$ pp and that would be for one that would blow my mind or is rare.

Long time no update!

So, after I removed my sand bed I had a slight nitrate spike but everything is back to normal now. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for my regular testing, the corals weren't even bothered by it and are growing really well! Unfortunately, the removal of the sand ended up being a waste of time and bacteria. I left the bucket out overnight after rinsing it and woke up to it spilled all over the floor. I tried my best to clean it up but ended up with grass and leaf filled sand. Lesson learned.

Anyway, due to water parameters being good as usual, I impulsively took home a fish for free and bought one that I absolutely had to have after seeing it on vacation.

Free Bangaii

15419346300_4c4a7916f8.jpg
[/url]

Flame Hawk:

15418830458_779d4c0c67.jpg
[/url]

I'm officially done adding anything to this tank until the upgrade which I'm hoping to resume soon. Going to school full time and working 30+ hours sure takes a toll on you.

Oh, and sorry for the terrible photos, I'm going to have to find some time for a quality photo dump ;)

Thanks Paul! I can already see my starry blenny asserting his dominance every time he sees the hawk, even the clowns join in sometimes! I'm hoping it's just a show of the established pecking order and it'll all calm down soon. The hawk looks ok with no battered fins and he's being pretty brave going for the occasional swim around the tank.

I do love the curious predator stalk my fuzzy does when I add a new fish! He thoroughly examines it with his big eyes before he realizes it's not food :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom