Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigbrother

Aquarium Advice Activist
Installed a refugium last nite this thing works great pretty easy to install I did it becuz I had problems with high nitrates I did a lot of research an was told it was the way to keep them off ur tank an phosphates aswell since I have reef tank I was just wondering if I should still have a canister filter I still left it on last night just wanted to kno an also my protien skimmer is workin better then before it' was a hang on but now sits in the refugium it looks to be workin better any way let me kno wat u guys think

No to the canister. They can be nitrate factories if not properly maintained. Not only that, a setup with a refugium/skimmer does the job of a canister. Skimmers notoriously work better in a sump than HOB.

Ok so no canister got ya I will take it off today joe long after I stat seeing alge in my refugium ??

You need to add macro algae into the fuge for it to consume the nitrates. It will out consume the algaes wanting to grow in your dt. Something else you could look at is an algae scrubber. This is a slow trickle of water down a rough surface that will use cheap lights to grow algae. It will grow on the scrubber rather than in the dt.

I put love rock into there it's got a bunch of algae growing on it would that work??

An another thing the refugium tank has a water line level were the return pump is with is only line 5 inches high is that we're the water level needs to be for that return space ???

It's cool man I need advice aswell since refugium is new to me I don't kno a lot about it but it seems to e workin great I only have live rock with no sand an wanted to kno if the water line on the end were the return pump goes should be we're it says WATER LEVEL maybe be a stupid ? But just want to make sure

I only have live rock I wana get cheato algae but don't kno were to get it so ur saying to keep that water level were Its at ??

I only have live rock I wana get cheato algae but don't kno were to get it so ur saying to keep that water level were Its at ??

try your local reef club. most of the guys will give it to you for pennies. if you order it from a site it's 10$+ but it can be bought from LA, reef cleaners, etc.

Yea that would cause big problems well my system seems to be workin great just need to get that cheato algae an hopefully it should be ready to house some fish next month I did have some in there but got an ick outback the cause high nitrates that the main reason I went with a refusium but thanx everyone for ur tips

Back
Top Bottom