Frog Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently looking to turn my 55G into a environment for frogs (build thread will come later) there are three frogs that I am particularly interested in:
1. Tomato Frog
2. Green Tree Frog
3. Pacman Frog
Can these three coexist together?
If so, how many of each species can I have in the tank? Any additional information or advice would be wonderful.

I have started the build thread as well
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/rebeccas-55-gallon-vivarium-build-221724.html

You can't mix these species. Pacmans are pigs and might try to go after the tree frog. Tomato frogs can be kept in groups I think. Same for the green treefrog.

Well I've already decided against the Pacman Frog due to research and finding out the diet and size changes of the frog. But what is the reason the Tomato Frog and the Tree Frog cannot coexist together?

I would say no based on body size and tank requirements. The tomato frog is bigger and requires a substrate to burrow in. The Tree frog obviously require plants and branches. Regardless, both are going to require that you minimize the aquatic portion of the tank, as they are more terrestrial than aquatic.

Wy Renegade said:
I would say no based on body size and tank requirements. The tomato frog is bigger and requires a substrate to burrow in. The Tree frog obviously require plants and branches. Regardless, both are going to require that you minimize the aquatic portion of the tank, as they are more terrestrial than aquatic.

Thanks Renegade, I think I will just stick with the tree frogs. The artistic portion of the tank is not large by no means, more like a little pool I guess you could call it. The tank is still not finished not that I have really been working on it. What would be a good bottom dweller for the tank?

Frogs and reptile can not be kept together like fish :(

Who said anything about frogs and reptiles?

Thanks Renegade, I think I will just stick with the tree frogs. The artistic portion of the tank is not large by no means, more like a little pool I guess you could call it. The tank is still not finished not that I have really been working on it. What would be a good bottom dweller for the tank?

Your bottom dwellers are really going to depend on both the size of the pool and the type of frog you select. With certain frogs you won't be able to keep any fish, as the frogs will make them a snack. If you select tree frogs, you should be ok for the most part. If you end up with a pool that is approximately 10 gallons in size, then any appropriate bottom dweller will suffice. If it ends up being smaller, than you will have a harder time, and might want to look at something like a small darter.

I am not looking for a reptile lol I was kind of wondering if there is a bottom dwelling frog that can live in there as well

Ah, for the most part, I would probably avoid mixing different types of frogs or amphibians in general. Many amphibians are opportunistic feeders, meaning that if it fits in their mouth, they are going to eat it. This includes other members of the same species. Not all obviously are that extreme, but with amphibians, usually the simpler the better IMO.

lol let me rephrase, I mean bottom dweller as in some type of frog that could live in the bottom of the tank on the substrate. Tree frogs will be mostly above the ground level. The waterfall that I have made for the tank is way to small to house any fish so I won't be attempting that adventure lol I am sorry if I have confused everyone. If you look at the thread that I linked it will kind of give you an idea of the layout of the tank. It has a water pool area but the rest is going to be moss or whatever substrate I decide on

Gotcha, let me rephrase now that I've relooked at the build thread.

I'm still not sure that I would recommend another frog, but something that is more of a burrower might be appropriate. Just keep in mind that if the smaller frogs come in contact with the larger one, the smaller one is most likely to be a meal. If you have enough soil area, you might want to consider a mole salamander (like the tiger salamander), but again, if the opportunity arises, they may eat your frogs. How about anoles? I'm not 100% on the physical requirements on those, but I know that anoles are from the humid areas of florida, but like Tree frogs, they like to climb. Sorry, probably not a whole lot of help.

In regards to the terrarium itself, have you considered foaming some pots into areas of the background so you can add some plants? You also may want to look into air plants (sorry forgot the proper name - I'll see if I can hunt up a link for you). If it is not too moist of an environment, you might consider some orchids as well. If you want a moist environment you'll need a mist system or fogger of some sort (such as an ultrasonic fogger or a humidifier).

Crabs might also be something to consider, in place of a bottom dwelling amphibian.

Got it, Tillandsia (air plants). If you google buy Tillandsia online, you find lots of options.

Last edited:
No I mean your can't keep amphibians with each other.i own reptiles and amphibians, and I would never keep any thing with them

Allot of useful info that you provided! Let me try to pick some points out of it
I have thought about the Anole on many occasions, it seems like a perfect little species to add to the tank. I have had then in the past and they are very peaceful.
The Tillandsia is an awesome looking plant, I would love to add something like that. With these plants though is there any worry that they could cause harm to the inhabitants? I know that some plants can be toxic to animals.

Allot of useful info that you provided! Let me try to pick some points out of it
I have thought about the Anole on many occasions, it seems like a perfect little species to add to the tank. I have had then in the past and they are very peaceful.
The Tillandsia is an awesome looking plant, I would love to add something like that. With these plants though is there any worry that they could cause harm to the inhabitants? I know that some plants can be toxic to animals.

I'm not a 100% sure on the tillandsia, but I do know that I've seen them used in both terrariums and dart frog vivariums, so I would guess not. However as with all things, further research may be in order as there may be some that are ok, and some that are not.

I have a chubby frog and it did well with a tree frog. If you haven't got your frog maby looking in it a chubby instead for a tomato frog.

Frogs and reptile can not be kept together like fish :(

I've seen some tropical Reptiles coexist vary well with frogs I think it was a Anole? But any way I realy don't know about reptiles that much I like my frogs and fish ^.^

Back
Top Bottom