5 clutches of snail eggs, 1 3 weeks old, hatching?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I have 5 clutches of snail eggs in my tank. One clutch, the first was laid probably the night before thanksgiving, when I was asleep for I woke up to find it. It's been 3 weeks (or if they were laid the day of thanksgiving, almost 3 weeks). I'm very excited! When should I start worrying about them not being fertile, or hatching? I've read that they hatch within 2-4 weeks, and at 5 weeks you can encourage them, by taking the eggs off the glass, and seeing if it's fertile or not by gently breaking it in half.

And yes, I have a male and female snail in the tank. :)

Thanks for help in advance!

Hi! First congratulations on the new babies!

I am not sure what to do about the eggs to see if it is fertile or not, but if you have fish in the same tank I definitely recommend that you separate them. I have been told by my LFS that the eggs could get into the fish gills and thus killing the fish!

:) Good lucks!

Hmm... i don't think the eggs would be a problem, as they are all above the glass.... but that sure is scary!

What kind of snails are we talking about? I have apple/mystery snails that have laid eggs several times, but none have hatched. She is consistently laying larger clutches though...

Mystery/Apple snails. :D That's what they are. The male is gold, the female blue. :)

Back
Top Bottom