Age Molly Fry Will Breed With Each Other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've asked this before but in a different way and have gotten great variety of responses, so I'm going to ask this in a different way....

:confused: What age have YOU experienced your Molly Fry breeding?? :confused:

I have various fry in my 20g long and they're:

7 wks, 5 days old 1"
6 wks, 2 days old 3/4"
5 wks, 6 days old 1/2"-3/4"

Some play, some I've noticed arguing over territory in the rocks, some make little go rounds in tight circles poking each other and chasing occasionally...

Do I have little adolescent fishies whose hormones are kicking in? Haha... I notice some of them have big poochie bellies. I also remember tho that they got these bellies after eating when they were tiny...

So, just want to know your experience because I've heard everything from 2 mths (Someones fry had their own babies at 3 mths old) to a year (I hear mollies in Petsmart, etc. are 4-5 mths old and already preggo so don't know how a year makes sense)... Curious! Thank you!! :cool:

Hi have bred plenty of mollies but never really noticed as and when the fry got preggie!?! I would reckon after about two/three months?

my 2.5month old molly is shooting sperm, so i would also guess 2-3months varrying from fish to fish.

Meaning you can see him mating? OR has his little self lost control and doesn't know when to release the sperm.. can you actually see it released in the water? Never seen this with my adult male.

My new answer from waiting (un)patiently was 6-7 wks old... They were giving birth at around 10-13 wks old.... And round 2 of fry born after these are now pregnant...
The first batch in question are pregnant AGAIN... :)

Back
Top Bottom