Albino Cory Catfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 28 gal euro aquarium with 150 watt stealth pro heater, digital LCD themometer, penguin 150 bio filter, sand substrate, 4 huge black stone, and a large piece of mopani driftwood that has little caves in it. It is currently cycling with 1 female veiltail betta and 3 albino Cory catfish. Please don't comment about how fishless cycling is better I know it's better I planned on doing fishless cycling I bought ammonia and everything but it's a long story. I can't take them back it's a long story please don't turn this thread into a fishless vs fish cycling thread. So I plan to keep only Albino Cory Catfish and the veiltail female betta. I went to have a large school of them but don't won't to just buy adult ones at the store I want to buy a couple mature ones from petco and breed them than raise their fry and keep them in my aquarium to join the school. So my first question is how many albino cory catfish can keep happily with my betta total I'm my aquarium without overstocking at all. Second question is how many do I have to have to breed? If when I'm done cycling can I just buy 2 more and they breed, or do they require large numbers to breed? Next question. How do I get them to breed? I don't want to purchase a separate aquarium just so the couple can do they're thing. I have 2 1 gallon aquariums both with undergravel filters, aeration, lighting, gravel substrate, and tons of decor. I also have 1 1.77 gallon aquarium with a Hagen extreme elite mini sponge filter. I was thinking I could have them lay their fry in my primary aquarium and then after a couple of hours of hardening move them to one of the other aquariums. And I will purchase some hydor 7.5 mini heaters if necessary. I'd prefer just to but a breeding net and keep them in my aquarium. What are the pros and cons of separating them into smaller aquariums vs breeding contraptions? Another question is what do I feed them and how do I care for them? And when do I allow them to swim freely? Thanks sorry for the long question and I don't intend to breed for a while so please no comments about that. And will they just start breeding on their own or do I have to do something special? Thanks what breeding contraption should I get from bigals here's the link
Aquarium Breeding - Isolation Traps at Big Al's Online

You'll probably have to buy a few more to get a breeding population. Six is a good number to start with. In a 28g with that equipment, I don't think you'd have any problem keeping a dozen.

I don't think a breeding trap will work well with cories. You'd be best off with a 10g bare-bottomed tank with a few pieces of PVC to hide in and maybe some kind of spawning mop or plants. A sponge filter is good, but some cories like water movement, so a powerhead or HOB filter with a media bag over the intake would be good too.

Put the cories in the tank and condition them by feeding them good food, like brine shrimp. After they're nice and fat, do a water change. A temperature drop is the key. I change ~50% of my water every week and I try to replace it with water that's five degrees cooler. It simulates rain and encourages breeding. I've gotten Praecox rainbows and panda cories to breed in my community tanks by changing the water like this.

I don't think the adults would hurt the fry, but if you're concerned, move the adults out after you see eggs. Most cories aren't terribly difficult to breed. Good water quality, some flow, and a temperature change seem to be the keys.

Ok so why won't a breeding net work, I'm sure you have a good reason I'm just wondering. Also what's a PVC. I'm not looking to spend 50 dollars on a breeding tank out petco has a 12 dollar 12 gal tank or 10 gal 10 dollars I'm not sure which size they're either 12 or 10. Also will a cheap heater and cheapest filter cut it since I'm looking to spend under 50 for breeding? And how long do the babies take to grow to adult size and when is it safe to put them in with my other cories? Thanks this is my first Time breeding and getting an aquatual aquarium not a 1 gal bowl. Thanks
You'll probably have to buy a few more to get a breeding population. Six is a good number to start with. In a 28g with that equipment, I don't think you'd have any problem keeping a dozen.

I don't think a breeding trap will work well with cories. You'd be best off with a 10g bare-bottomed tank with a few pieces of PVC to hide in and maybe some kind of spawning mop or plants. A sponge filter is good, but some cories like water movement, so a powerhead or HOB filter with a media bag over the intake would be good too.

Put the cories in the tank and condition them by feeding them good food, like brine shrimp. After they're nice and fat, do a water change. A temperature drop is the key. I change ~50% of my water every week and I try to replace it with water that's five degrees cooler. It simulates rain and encourages breeding. I've gotten Praecox rainbows and panda cories to breed in my community tanks by changing the water like this.

I don't think the adults would hurt the fry, but if you're concerned, move the adults out after you see eggs. Most cories aren't terribly difficult to breed. Good water quality, some flow, and a temperature change seem to be the keys.

Lol I just searched bio wheel 100 and it was only 13 dollars I thought it would be more so ill probably get the 12 gal for 12 dollars and bio wheel 100, and marineland stealth pro 25 or 50 watt heater for under 50. Also where can I get top? They say optional canopy included idk what that means but I've never saw the tops to them. And what about strip lights? Thanks

A breeding net is just too small. Petco has it's $1 per gallon sale right now, so 10g = $10. A sponge filter and air pump might run you $30. Just be sure to seed the sponge filter in your established tank for a month or so before setting up a breeding tank. Petsmart has a clearance on Hydor Theo heaters now too.

PVC is PVC pipe. Sorry, I'm a plumber's kid, so I'm used to the "pipe" part just being assumed.

My pandas are about two months old and 1/2"-3/4" old. Pandas stay smaller than most cories.

That's a decent setup.

Thanks I really don't like sponge filters a have so called elite sponge filter I hate it! I'm just going to buy a 12 gal 12 dollars from petco and bio wheel 100 for 15. And marineland stealth pro 25 prob 50 watt heater and digital LCD themometer. Under 50. Idk bout the lights and top. Sorry for my bad granmer lol I'm tired. And what's PVC pipe? Never heard of it?
A breeding net is just too small. Petco has it's $1 per gallon sale right now, so 10g = $10. A sponge filter and air pump might run you $30. Just be sure to seed the sponge filter in your established tank for a month or so before setting up a breeding tank. Petsmart has a clearance on Hydor Theo heaters now too.

PVC is PVC pipe. Sorry, I'm a plumber's kid, so I'm used to the "pipe" part just being assumed.

My pandas are about two months old and 1/2"-3/4" old. Pandas stay smaller than most cories.

That's a decent setup.

PVC pipe is white plastic pipe. It's a relatively cheap way to provide clean cover for your fish.

just browsing the other threads, and had a what if about this one - wouldn't a power filter suck up the new fry? I have always used sponge filters in my fry tanks and I just bought an Elite one and I love it :)

A media bag or a piece of pantyhose over the intake keeps the power filter from sucking up the fry.

A breeding net will work for the fry alone... not the adults. Let the adults breed, scrape off some eggs (which will be stuck on the glass... these aren't livebearers), and put them in the net. Or instead, provide plenty of plant/decor cover with enough dark spots for the fry to hide in after hatching (the adult fish will appreciate that too). They stay around the bottom of the tank, and can take care of themselves pretty well if there are no predators around. So I've never bothered with the filters.

BigJim is right in that you will need more than 3 fish to get some good breeding going. Cories are happier in groups... 5 or more.

I've been trying to breed corys for over a year with lots of problems. The issue I have is if I leave the eggs in the tank, the adults eat them (they are in dedicated 10 gal tanks with no other fish). When I do scrape the eggs and hatch them seperatly I do get a few fry, but then they are hard to feed and end up dying.

Just now I have finally got about 20 fry in a 2 gal tank and they seem to be eating the BBS OK. Just hope I can get them to regular food soon so I can move them into a dedicated grow out 10 gal tank.

Breeding Angelfish was easy compared to corys for me.

For the OP you do need a group of more than 3 to have any luck, and for me it seems like patience helps! Everyone seems to like sand bottoms and that does seem to have helped in my case.

Good luck and have fun, that's the most important advice I can give....

Ok thanks once I get my tank more established and add all the fish I plan to keep in there I will begin breeding.

Back
Top Bottom