Micro Panda Cory Strain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have successfully isolated a gene in a small group of Panda Cory or Corydoras panda in the family Callichthyidae. The average size of this species is listed as 2.1 inches. The group I have isolated by size and trait is 1.5-1.8 inches long. I found a small adult female and two small adult males from different locations. I bred them together in a planted aquarium over the coarse of two years creating small micro species of healthy individuals.

These are not Dwarfs these are micro or miniature. They have all the same genes as a normal fish of this species just smaller size.

I have successfully established this micro variety and want to pursue it's care and protection into the future. I currently only have 15-18 individuals.

Ive got a group of about 30 panda corys that are in the size range you describe. None are over 2 inch.

I would say 2 inch is the maximum for that species of fish, the average would be lower in the range you are describing.

Online search suggests male average is 3 to 3.5cm. Females are 4 to 4.5cm. So right in that 1.5 to 1.8" range you describe. A 5cm/2" panda would be a big un, and probably female.

Last edited:
I'm just curious if this would have been a similar outcome had the fish been kept in say, a swimming pool or large body of water vs an aquarium. Fish tend to not achieve "maximum" size in aquariums unless they are in overly large ones. ��
Also, assuming you were working with wild caught fish, since you got the F0 generation from different locations, did you get confirmation that the different locations have specimens that achieve that maximum size? ��

Back
Top Bottom