Angelfish Fry At Bottom In Am After Free Swimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mginster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first time to hatch and attempt to raise angelfish fry. They have all hatched and I have moved them to 2.5g to grow a bit and then will go to 10g etc. Every one of them was free swimming yesterday in the jar and then the 2.5. I fed and they ate.

This morning they are all at the bottom back to wiggling and appear still sticking to the glass. I don't see any dead. Is this normal? The lights were off and I am guessing they were resting. I did a 50% WC and fed just a little.

Also what water do you guys typically use for the initial tank after the jar? I used all fresh RODI water and some of the jar water. My water changes are RODI so its already pretty much aged in the RO brute I have. I dont have established cycled water except for my main 40g, but havent heard anyone using that, but rather doing frequent WC with clean water.

Huddling, is a security thing not a resting thing. The fry do it at night because there is safety in numbers. ;) They should be spreading out more during the day.
I use a 10 gal tank to hatch out my eggs only I use just 5 gals of water. ( I mark the tank at each gallon so I know exactly how much water I am using.) After they hatch, I add 1 gal a day until filled. A 2.5 gal tank is probably only going to be able to handle a "normal " spawn for about a week. Just feeding that sized spawn in that small amount of water could be polluting the water and not helping the fry. Using more water in a smaller space ( ie 1/2 filled 10 gal) allows the fry to have more cleaner water yet not have far to hunt down their food.
As for the water itself, it should be clean aged water only. If you are only using RO, you will need to remineralize it before you add it to the tank. The fry need the nutrients and minerals.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom