Angelfish fry question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok my fry are just starting to swim in the open water! Lol so when do I start feeding them? I normally feed all my tanks at 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Could I do that with the fry? Or should i do a third feeding in the middle of the day? This is the parents first successful spawn out of 4 spawns and so far they are being great parents. It's so cute to watch them herd the stragglers back to the plant the others are on. Also any tips or advice would be great!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Fry need feeding as soon as possible when they become free swimming, they burn up a lot of energy growing and swimming so multiple feedings are needed. I feed 5x's a day but if you have mosses or fairly heavy algae growth for them to pick at, you could get away with a bit less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Half of the back of the tank is completely covered in algae and some on the sides and a little on the front. I may have an algae problem...

Half of the back of the tank is completely covered in algae and some on the sides and a little on the front. I may have an algae problem...

I also have anarchis, a couple temple plants and what I think is moneywort. I've read that stuff the fry like to eat grow on the plants. Is this right?

I have lots of free swimmers! Yay!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428542217.609957.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428542236.383926.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428542252.609090.jpg
The black one is the female and the striped one is the male. I'm excited to see what the fry look like ?

Lucky you I have 2 pairs that eat their eggs :( usually day 7 is when to start feeding them!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lucky you I have 2 pairs that eat their eggs :( usually day 7 is when to start feeding them!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How many spawns have they had? It took mine 4 spawns until they realized.

Unfortunately, some Angels just remain egg eaters and never stop. If you have the patience, you can wait it out to see if they will. Otherwise, hatching the eggs artificially is a pretty easy thing to do. I recommend doing it for the first spawn(s) just to make sure you get at least 1 wiggler. This proves you have both a male & female and that they are fertile. Usually, the more spawns they do, the larger the hatch percentage however, I have had some first time spawners ( fry that I have raised to maturity) have 90%-95% hatch percentages on their first tries but you are looking for that 1 for the proof. After that, you can let them do what they want. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom