angelfish laid eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So does that mean she is ready to lay eggs again I actually didn't get a chance to see her do it last time but she is swollen ...and is breathing kinda rapid I don't kno if its due to the treatment I put in yesterday

ForumRunner_20131208_172214.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's the pic or my eyes cause I can't see clearly but if the protrusion at her vent is white(ish), it's her ovipositor and she's ready to lay. If it's more reddish, it's most likely an inflamed Anus which needs to be treated.
Keep in mind that many medications deplete the water of oxygen so if she is breathing heavy and staying up more at the surface, you'll want to increase the air or surface agitation to help oxygenate the water.

Yes she's at the top breathing heavily I turned the pump up I'm going to put the bubbler in there when I'm home and I also put a flat place for her to spawn if she is ready you can see white stringy goo coming her but it does seem inflamed. At the same time ill get a better pic

Yes she's at the top breathing heavily I turned the pump up I'm going to put the bubbler in there when I'm home and I also put a flat place for her to spawn if she is ready you can see white stringy goo coming her but it does seem inflamed. At the same time ill get a better pic

I wouldn't bother with the flat rock as fish under stress don;t breed. :( White stringy goo plus an inflamed anus doesn't sound good. The swelling may be bloat or worms so I'd be concentrating on treatment more than breeding. You may want to try the Epsom Salt bath to help ease her muscles to help her defecate more easily. :huh:

Ok so just normal Epsom's salt from the store and how much ??

So rose is dead I came home and cryed I've had her the longest and it makes me sad I wish I would of asked a few days ago and maybe she would be alive ;tear

So rose is dead I came home and cryed I've had her the longest and it makes me sad I wish I would of asked a few days ago and maybe she would be alive ;tear

This is sad to hear but unfortunately, all part of keeping animals as pets. The best you can take from this is the experience of what you did and what you didn't do so that in the future, your fish will have an even better chance of surviving. It's all part of the "hobby." I know absolutely no one who has kept fish for any length of time that hasn't lost at least 1. So take comfort in that you are not alone.

If this tank is now empty of fish, I would strongly recommend that you sanitize it with bleach and restart it. If it has fish still in it, I would consider not putting any new fish in it for at least a month to make sure the other fish in the tank don't succumb to what she had.

Once again, my condolences :flowers:

Ok so his lip fungus keeps coming back I've treated it several times.. I'm stumped any suggestions?

ForumRunner_20140103_172104.jpg

Ok so his lip fungus keeps coming back I've treated it several times.. I'm stumped any suggestions?

View attachment 214941

This sounds like a sign that the tank is dirtier than you think it is. The water is not clean enough to keep the fish healthy with an injury. I suggest trying to keep the fish in a bare bottom tank ( no gravel) and see if that helps KEEP him healthy after you medicate this bout. The nice thing about a bare bottom tank is that you can see all the detritus that needs to be eliminated from the water. Using a siphon hose with a rigid tubing end, you can direct the hose directly to where you need to collect the dirt. That will help keep the water cleaner.
That would be my suggestion. (y)

Ok thx I'm going to do that today. He seems to have ick also I'm seeing white stringy goo dangling from his fin also. I medicated him yesterday again with the lip fungus stuff so would it be ok if I completely drained the tank cleaned it n just put him back in there with diff meds for his ick or would it be too soon .. I don't want to over medicate him or have him die on me.. he's my trooper

Ok thx I'm going to do that today. He seems to have ick also I'm seeing white stringy goo dangling from his fin also. I medicated him yesterday again with the lip fungus stuff so would it be ok if I completely drained the tank cleaned it n just put him back in there with diff meds for his ick or would it be too soon .. I don't want to over medicate him or have him die on me.. he's my trooper

Okay, this is more evidence that his tank is not on good shape. You see, while ick is a "disease" (it's a parasite), it's also a symptom. Healthy fish don't come down with ick very often. Fish in clean tanks are usually healthier than ones in dirty tanks.
So this is what I would do:
1-Place all the fish in the tank in a bucket or other empty tank with the water they are in now.
2- clean out the main tank to the bone. Wash the gravel (gently if you are going to put it back into the tank) and all the ornaments.
3- refill the tank with new dechlorinated water and adjust ph and temp to what they were in. Turn filter back on.
4- Slowly acclimate the fish back into the new water and don't pour any of the old water into the new tank.
5-Raise the temp up 4-6 degrees to help combat the ick.
6- Medicate for the fungus.

Note: even tho the filter material will have Ick parasites in it, since you will be raising the temp and medicating for the fungus, this should not be a problem as these parasites should be dying off and if no gravel is involved, they would have no place to hide and grow.

Once healed, you want to get into a routine of changing water weekly ( I only do 10%-15% of volume while others claim to do 30%-50%. Your choice depending on the fish's reaction to the change). If you go with gravel, you want to vacuum about 10%-20% of the gravel bed every water change but no more than 1/2 the tank in a month's time. This way, any detritus that has accumulated can be removed and the time frame will give the BB a chance to repopulate the gravel bed. Be mindful about over feeding. This is a major factor leading to poor water quality. (More is not always better ;))

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions (y)

Back
Top Bottom