Angelfish Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FwA

Aquarium Advice Activist
YaY! It's only been 3 weeks and my Angelfish have now spawned for the second time. Wish me luck :) (they ate the first lot)

Attachments

• image-3981122944.jpg
    image-3981122944.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 200
  • image-1461527268.jpg
    image-1461527268.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 206
Thankyou :)

I've been watching them throughout the day. They are doing a much better job 2nd time round :)
She is constantly at them fanning and picking. And the male even drops in to help out every now and then.
A few questions though, provided the eggs are still there when I wake up and read any replies...

My female is still running over the eggs as if she is still occasionally dropping a few eggs off, and the male also appears to be fertilizing every now and then. Is this normal 6 hours after laying started?
She could also just be rubbing her belly on the eggs while fanning? If this is so, what is the purpose?
They have also had a few aggressive moments between each other. The female sometimes attacks the male, he retreats to the opposite end of the tank, waits a while, then heads back to their 'territory' and picks at the ground, and she takes a while to let him back at the eggs again. Then things go back to normal.
The male has been eating some bloodworm and flake food, but I am yet to see the female eat.. Is this normal? Hope she isn't saving room for caviar. :(
Well I'm off to bed and fingers crossed the eggs are still there in the morning!

Still no one able to help me here? I need a coach! Please! Lol
It's 8:30am and my eggs are still good. The parents are still guarding them :)
Here are some pics, will they eat those white eggs like they are supposed to or being their second time, could they possibly mess this one up too?
It's a 29g tank, so I added 4 drops of methyln blue to assist with controlling the fungus.
I hope I get wrigglers!

Attachments

• image-3315092493.jpg
    image-3315092493.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 234
  • image-4142986007.jpg
    image-4142986007.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 154
Checked the nitrite and ammonia levels today as its been 3 days since last water change. Ammonia is at .1 and nitrite at 1ppm. I've heard angel eggs are sensitive to water changes, so should I do a pwc or not? If not, when should I?

How long from when they paid the eggs to when they turned white? Did you remove the parents? Methyl blue helps with the fungus but you should also put a bubble stone so it blows over the eggs to help with fungus.

The parents are still in there. I'm hoping they will do most the work themselves. It's been 18hrs or so since they laid. So about 12-15hrs after being laid they started turning white. I only added a little meth blue as I said, just to try help the parents. As the hours go by more eggs are turning white. It was about 5% of them 3hrs ago. Now about 8-10% of them. Is this normal? Both parents still fanning too

The white eggs are unfertilized. I think if they stay yellow a day or so then they may hatch. I'm not sure what effect the methyl blue would have on the parents. If your trying to let the parents raise them they may eat them. My angels have spawned about 8 times and only the last two they ate quickly so I'm going to remove the eggs and care for them myself. Also, if they hatch, have you thought of food?

Yes I'll be feeding them freshly hatched brine shrimp. I have experience with them already as used them to feed my guppy fry as a trial run for the angels.
More and more eggs are going white so I think I'll have either none or few left by tomorrow, but if they are spawning every 3 weeks I'm not too disappointed :)

Angels can spawn in 10 days. My local fish club had a breeder come in and give a talk about what he does. He said he does 5% water changes 2-4 times a day. He said to use breeder cones and to place them in the away from the sides of the tank. He said what he did was he would pull the first spawn and raise them himself and then a week or so later they would spawn again and he would let the parents raise them. He said he liked seeing would could be the better parents. He said that he leaves the lights on all day when he has eggs in the tank. The reason was like something about the parents can see the eggs better and they will protect them better or something. About the cleaning he said he would clean every day and make sure there was nothing growing or anything.

He said its better to do many small water changes then one big one. He had a sponge filter running on all of his tanks. He said his tanks were so clean he couldnt grow any plants in the tanks not even java moss.

About the feeding he said he doesnt feed them for as much when they have a spawn but after the babies have hatched and are around 1 week old he would start feeding more.

This breeder was getting around 400 angel fry a spawn.

Retested ammonia and nitrite. Nitrite back to 0 but ammonia up to .25. There was a lot of waste from the plecos I had in there, I removed them before the angels spawned but didn't get the chance to remove their waste. So I've just siphoned the waste out and I've kept half the water, made half a new bucket and matched the water conditions perfect, minus ammonia, mixed the two together and now I'm adding 2 cups back in every 10min or so.
I didn't know what else to do to drop the waste levels so I hope this works.
And also. In a stroke of luck, my female is removing dead eggs at a steady pace now. Hopefully she stays on top of it :)
Fingers are still crossed!

Thank you for your reply artist. Very helpful. :)
I'm not sure whether to take the eggs off them and do the rest myself or leave them be...
They are definitely showing signs that they are learning and getting better at parenting but I would like to see hundreds of little babies this time. Lol

OH just remembered the guy said matching the ph didnt matter. Along with he used RO water when he has eggs but once they hatch he starts changes out the water to hard water over like 3days. He said this helps them grow. The reason for the RO water is because when you use hard water the egg shells can harden and the baby cant get out.

Here are the eggs now. Compare it to the last photo.
The two photos were taken roughly 5hrs apart

Attachments

• image-2906793159.jpg
    image-2906793159.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1671434440.jpg
    image-1671434440.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 59
RO water is Reverse Osmosis Water. Its a filter that cleans the water to the point were its almost 100% H2O (thats the chemical make up of water) The RO systems are around $200-$300+. But IMO an Aqponics system would remove most of the "bad" stuff in the water.

I have an aquaponics system running on a goldfish and its going one 2 weeks with out having to do a water change... Amm-0 Nit-0 Nat around 20 so all good and I am growing basil out of the deal. (note: you dont have to grow basil you can grow other plants too)

Oh ok. I think that's a little advanced for me at the moment. Lol

But you dont have to use Water treatment with it. Im trying to think of everything he said. He said that once the fry get to about dime size he moves them to another tank to grow out. He said this was around one month mark. Then once he moves the fry out he starts feeding the pair worms, I cant remember if it was black or blood worms- one of the two.

I dont think I will every get to the level he is at but I do plan later in life breeding angels. But for now I will stick with guppies.( You probably know this but angels love guppy fry)

Back
Top Bottom