Angelfish w/free swimmers and spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone heard of this, my angel pair have free swimmers, about 5 days old. When I went to feed them this morning I noticed that my pair spawned again.

Several things may happen ;
They may eat the oldest fry to help the new or not?
The older fry may eat the younger when they become free swimming?
They may eat the eggs.
They may raise both spawns?
When this happens I always try to move someone.. The parents , the eggs or the fry.
The parents are always easiest as if you place net near eggs they will basically swim in to it in defense...

I artificially hatch in a large Toms Dip and Pour with 2 drops of MB and an airstone.
http://www.kensfish.com/shipping-supplies/tom-dip-pour-large.html

When the eggs become wigglers I remove 1/2 the water and replace with fresh to remove most of the remaining MB.The day they become wigglers I start myBBS eggs hatching as they take 24 hours.
1 day later I start feeding the fry with BBS.The angels grow quick and pigs when it comes to eating so within the first week they should become easily trained to eat prepared foods like Hikari First Bites ,or other crushed food for fry..
Enjoy !(y)

I was successful in my first batch, still hatching brine shrimp. Haven't lost a fry yet, they are fun to see full lol.

How often do you do a water change? I'm finding that some of the brine shrimp goes uneaten but don't want to disturb the parents or fry.

I was thinking of putting a container in their tank for the new eggs, with MB and airstone. (Above the waterline). Do the parents still try and guard them? Will they spawn again in a week?

Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it.

They don't really guard them once you remove them..They swarm when they see the free swimmers [desire to eat them I think !]
I float my Dip and Pours so they stay tank temp[free heat !]
I change like 1/2 the water in the container every or every other day..
As for left over BBS get a turkey baster that is clear .It will suck extra food and if it gets fry you will see them AND they naturally fight the flow and stay at bottom of baster [easy to just squeeze them back into container while waste BBS floats on top !]

Do you put the free swimmers back in the tank with the parents? I don't have extra tanks Around (or space) for the free swimmers to have their own tank.

With water changes the fry can last a couple weeks to get bigger .. Then it might be safe?
I besides having 42 breeding tanks ,use a paint strainer from Sherwin Williams and a piece of 'Backer Rod'[foam rope] to make the biggest floating breeder net seen !
Many besides me now use them since I have shared and I personally have over 8 that I use regulary..
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/leaktite-5-gallon-pail-strainer
The strainer fits perfect in 12" wide tanks like your 20L so if you keep water level up you won't need backer rod to make it float.It will be snug in/on the top frame of tank...
The angel fry will be big enough for strainer in 1-2 weeks..Too soon and they fall through the net or even get sucked through by the parents and eaten...Ask me how I know that !

Hahaha. Thanks!

Maybe I'll just throw the parents back in my community tank and use my 30 for a grow out with the fry and I have and the eggs that were laid last night. Then start the process all over once I find a home for all the fry.

Back
Top Bottom