Any fish that I can breed that don't eat their fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I wanted to do some kinda natural setup in my 20 gallon long, with regularly breeding fish where I don't have to remove the male, female, or any of the fry. I can give fry to my friend who has a large fish tank, so no need to worry about the tank being overcrowded with fish. I would like to breed a smaller variety of cichlids, but there might also be something out there that have the same traits. I know that some livebearers don't eat their fry if there is enough plants, but I'm not really interested in that. Thanks! (owo)

I was looking at a tank of shell dwellers.

Yea, I already thought of that but they are either overpriced or not available around me :(. I don't really like shipping and just switched my tank to gravel, so wouldn't want to switch it to sand... Thanks tho.

What about white cloud minnows? I hear they are easy to breed, they scatter their eggs year round and don't eat a ton of the fry. You don't even need a heater for them.

Hello Crab...

Livebearing fish won't prey on their fry if the adult fish are fed more food and fed more often. The adults, if they're hungry, will see the fry as lunch. Well fed adults show little interest in the fry. Also, if you heavily plant the surface area of your tank with some floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Dwarf water lettuce and Pennywort. the fry will hide in the plants.

B

Hello Crab...

Livebearing fish won't prey on their fry if the adult fish are fed more food and fed more often. The adults, if they're hungry, will see the fry as lunch. Well fed adults show little interest in the fry. Also, if you heavily plant the surface area of your tank with some floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Dwarf water lettuce and Pennywort. the fry will hide in the plants.

B

Thanks, but I'm not really interested in livebearers. I already bred them in the past and wouldn't want to repeat it again (wanna try something new). Thanks for your suggestion though!

What about white cloud minnows? I hear they are easy to breed, they scatter their eggs year round and don't eat a ton of the fry. You don't even need a heater for them.

Hmm I never though about that! Lemme try researching a bit more about them and see if its true. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom