Are Peacock Cichlids good parents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryanm70

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon with a male and female blue orchid peacock. This is the second time that the female is holding, but the first time that she actually will succeed in hatching the fry (I stressed her out the first time trying to put her in her own tank and she spit them out). I want her to spit in the tank and there are more than enough hiding spots (Tons of rock) and really fine-leaved plants mixed with really large-leaved plants for the fry...As the title says...would they be good parents?

P.S. I will move the fry once they are big enough. Also the parents are young at only about 3 inches that's why they reside in a 30 gallon.

Also I'm running a very strong Marineland Penguin bio-wheel 350 and an Aqueon quietflow 20 on this tank, so how would I go about making sure the fry don't get sucked into the filters?

Bryanm70 said:
Also I'm running a very strong Marineland Penguin bio-wheel 350 and an Aqueon quietflow 20 on this tank, so how would I go about making sure the fry don't get sucked into the filters?

I've read u could put panthose over the intake :)

Bryanm70 said:

I also have baby jack Dempsey fry... About a week old. I put the pantyhose over the filter so they don't get sucked in. However the current of the water is still sting enough to push em around. I run mine a couple hours a day then I unplug it. When the fry began swimming freely in the whole tank I probably can't run it at all. I still fear they will get close enough to the filter to get stuck to it even tho they can't get sucked in, they are the size of ants!

I also have baby jack Dempsey fry... About a week old. I put the pantyhose over the filter so they don't get sucked in. However the current of the water is still sting enough to push em around. I run mine a couple hours a day then I unplug it. When the fry began swimming freely in the whole tank I probably can't run it at all. I still fear they will get close enough to the filter to get stuck to it even tho they can't get sucked in, they are the size of ants!

That's what I was thinking would happen...Do you think a triple layer instead of a single layer would help?

Bryanm70 said:
That's what I was thinking would happen...Do you think a triple layer instead of a single layer would help?

I think 2 or 3 layers will slow down your water flow.

Bryanm70 said:
I don't think that would be an issue since I have enough filtration to sustain at least an 80 gallon tank. This tank is a 30 gallon.

Please let me know how it goes. My fry got really close to mine earlier... They got pushed around but not sucked up to it. Good luck!

Bryanm70 said:
Thanks, will do! Is your tank a community tank or just the JD parents w/fry?

I had more jd, but I took the, out and left the the parents and babies in the tank together. The parents tortured the other two the weren't allowed to come out of the corner. I thought they was going to kill them they were so mean. What's in your tank?

Back
Top Bottom