Baby fry unkown parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROXIE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week I was doing a water changes and noticed a baby (just one) in my cycling tank. I always do the 29 gal. first and there is a male and a female Turquoise rainbows and 7 Rummy red nose that could be possibilities. The baby definatley isn't a Platty because the fry are way different looking. Does anyone have an idea or a picture of Rummy red nose fry or the Turquoise Rainbow?

Well, due to the sensitivity of the rummynose, I would have to say it's your rainbows. I have a book that says they (rainbows) are continuous spawners. Everything I've read about the tetra however says they are very difficult so.... Congrats on your new fry!

What do the eggs look like, because I think my clown loaches could have ate them, I've read that the female will deposit the eggs in plants, and I have been watching the Rainbows closley and haven't noticed any change in her appearance.
I'm really baffled on this but I guess it's gonna be really neat to find out what the fry will be.

I have a book on rainbow fish but it only scrapes the surface on breeding. It says that the eggs will be in groups of two or three. It is possible that your loaches ate them.
Another thought though, how long have you had your plants? Would it be possible to have gotten a fry that way? I've had this happen. Ended up with a feeder guppy in a batch of java fern. Just a thought. Keep up posted on the outcome.

My plants have been in there since I first started cycling the tank, so I think the one egg was transferred from the tube that I use for water changes, ya I think the loaches took care of the rest but at least someone in the tank is breeding and I have one baby!

Back
Top Bottom