Baby platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, our Mickey platy (named Minnie by my 5 year old) had her fry sometime overnight. I have found 9 fry and am moving them to the little hospital tank.

I'm guessing momma is done having fry, but I don't really know how long that part actually takes. Can someone let me know?

Also, although we aren't sure what we are going to do with the babies (or how I'm gonna convince my little one that the male has to go live elsewhere), I'd like my kids first experience with this to go well, so any advice you have to offer would be very appreciated!

I meant to attach this pic of the babies.

Attachments

• image-865991670.jpg
    image-865991670.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 93
Platy,mollies, guppies usually have 1 batch of fry and about 24-48 hrs can have another. Some only have 1 batch but all of mine usually had 2 different batches. You can try to put momma in the hospital tank it will make her more comfortable to have the babies. Some of my mommas did eat a couple of there babies but not all mommas will do so and it is usually stress related when they do ! Congrats on the babies :)

Thanks!

I am amazed at how tiny the fry really are! We have 10 in the hospital so far.

I have now moved the momma to a little homemade breeder tank in the big tank - I think they were all pretty stressed when I moved the plants out for a bit so I could net the fry...

I think I'm going to try feeding egg yolk to them - I crushed tropical flakes in there earlier, but I don't know if they actually ate any or not. Have you ever tried the egg yolk? Does it mess with water levels at all?

Any suggestions on what to do with the babies once they grow? Our tank cannot accomodate that many fish. (pregnant when we got her and didn't know.)

Attachments

• image-1001444221.jpg
    image-1001444221.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 95
No I never tried yolks. I used crushed flakes just a small small amount and if they don't eat it right away then don't worry It takes them a little to be hungry as they are born with a yolk sac that gives them some nutrition :) When the babies start to mature keep the Males separated from the females so you don't get anymore unwanted babies lol :) your LFS might be able to take them off your hands and give you something in return. When i bred mine i traded with the LFS.

I have 2 molly fry, I bought them when they were tiny and I crushed up the flakes into a powder. It took the girls 2 days to eat but they were very skinny when I got them because they were in a tank with many other fish and never really got food. I always make sure to feed them 2-4 times a day. and crush the flakes up very small in the palm of my hand. Best of luck with your fry!

Thanks!

They seem to be doing fine - they've been eating the flakes and the yolks. :)

Momma didn't have more fry - she looked so skinny last night! I'm a bit concerned because she no longer looks as skinny, I guess I'll just have to watch and see.

I've been reading that they can switch sex until they reach sexual maturity, of course nothing I've found says when that is.

I like the idea of some sort of trade or credit at the LFS. :)

Thanks again for the advice and well wishes!

Back
Top Bottom