Basic breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msweitzer24

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting to get in to breeding mollies and guppies. I have a net for the fry but can I just get some basic info on guppie breeding

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't put the fry in a net permanently. Start them in a 2.5 with a sponge filter for the first week. Put them into a ten gallon for grow out. You may need a 20 long or even a 40 depending on if you cull fish and the size of the litter

Feed the fry freshly hatched baby brine shrimp as much as possible.

Do water changes every couple days. This is necessary because you feed fry often daily and fry as sensitive to nitrates, nitrite, and ammonia.

Get at least 2 females for every male to breed mollies and guppies. If you don't, them female will get constantly harassed by the male and may die or abort the babies.

Or you can get a dense ball of Java Moss and some fry will survive.

Most people don't have endless tanks to keep all the fish they raise, most shops won't take them, not everyone wants to use them as food for other fish.

So just have long term plans before you are overrun with Livebearers.
What do you plan to do with the babies ?
It is super exciting to see the babies. There are Livebearer Clubs and shows.

I don't want to discourage you from breeding. Just sharing some thoughts of mine.

I agree nets aren't a good solution. The adults tend to terrorize them by biting at the net.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother has baby guppies right now and they are just in the tank with the adults and a ton of plants. She figures if they make it they do, if they don't .... I am hoping because I got her red guppies that she gets some nicer ones that I can trade in at the LFS for store credit or something. But I know that's wishful thinking.

To give away some fish you can post them on here or use Craigslist, which I always have had good luck doing when I have had an excess of snails. Just be prepared to not get much money for them. If you do have really pretty ones perhaps the LFS will take them. You won't know until you ask.

I agree, it is a lot of fun watching them grow up and its a good experience, especially if you decide to try your hand with other fish down the road. Good luck!

The babies in my mother's tank get crushed Fluval flakes, daphnia (frozen) and baby brine shrimp (frozen). they are growing well.

Ok and the feed them like 5 times a day right

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom