Best conditions for breeding guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amy87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 female 1 male guppy in my 20g tank I've had the a few weeks now. Was woundering if I could do some control breeding. I have a 5g which has been running for 2 months now and all parameters are spot on. Can I put the guppy in there to ensure they breed. Also don't get bothered by my other fish

put on some soothing music for them lol just kidding
you dont have to really do anything to get them going. as long as the conditions are right it's going to happen. that's all male guppies think about

Ok cheers but would it be ok to put them in my 5 gallon as it empty ATM so at least they be left alone to do there stuff hehe

They do it regardless. Lol i raise guppies as feeder for my oscar here n there n i had two trying to breed in my oscars tank

Think I will tank looks silly empty and they the best fish to put in there it bit small for my honey gourami

Amy87 said:
I have 2 female 1 male guppy in my 20g tank I've had the a few weeks now. Was woundering if I could do some control breeding. I have a 5g which has been running for 2 months now and all parameters are spot on. Can I put the guppy in there to ensure they breed. Also don't get bothered by my other fish

Having been breeding guppies for a while now I would have to say you need more room and more opportunities. You need more guppies and space. Make sure you have plenty areas for babies to hide. Keep the water around 76-78 degrees and light on for 6-8 hours. Feed them a variety of foods: flake, baby shrimp (dried) and algae disks. The fry enjoy hard broiled egg yolk but just a very tiny amount. It can make your tank nasty. Hope I helped!!

Attachments

• image-2656150190.jpg
    image-2656150190.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image-114969811.jpg
    image-114969811.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image-4181655817.jpg
    image-4181655817.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1445354904.jpg
    image-1445354904.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2909415370.jpg
    image-2909415370.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 89
Cheers the tank has plenty of hidey holes for the fry lots of thick plants. One of my females looks pregnant I think so fingers crossed not long and will have some baby.

I would buy some more as u say for choice but can't ATM as little skint so have to wait.

That was the plan not having much money thought buy a couple and breed my own was the cheapest option. :)

I have a slightly neglected 55 that started with 2 random guppy babies....now we're up to 50+ idk the exact number there's to many. I use them as feeders for my saltwater tank.

I will have a few homes for ones I can't keep few friends have started tanks bad would like some guppy

pcdebb said:
Don't buy more. Trust me, you will have more than enough soon.

The only reason I said that is so you're not inbreeding which could cause deformities. Maybe add another couple.

Well male came from different shop so should be ok on that side. Here a pic of female who I think might be pregnant

image-860881452.jpg

Amy87 said:
Well male came from different shop so should be ok on that side. Here a pic of female who I think might be pregnant

She's carrying eggs. Look at the gravis spot. It's a black area towards the end of her body. She will get bigger as time goes on. You've got maybe 2-3 weeks I'd say?

Amy87 said:

Here's a photo of one of my females about to pop.

image-2445669487.jpg

Attachments

• image-2089149833.jpg
    image-2089149833.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 56
Cool got me excited now :) urs r really big she dies look like she gonna pop lol

Berberry08 said:
The only reason I said that is so you're not inbreeding which could cause deformities. Maybe add another couple.

Well I haven't had a deformity yet. And not knowing how the store kept them before buying them there's really no way of knowing. As mine grow up I'm gonna trade them in. I'm ready to breed something else now. Maybe convicts.

Back
Top Bottom