Breeding Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandontheman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
right now i have two females and two male bettas, i have the two females together in a ten gallon keeping the guppie population in check and the two males in 2 separate two gallon tanks.

I was wondering about breeding i think it would be alot of fun, can anybody give me any info on this ?

How can you tell when they are ready to breed and you can put them together ? Is there a special time of the month ?

What temp does the water have to be ?

Should i breed them in the big tank or a small one ?

How would i go about caring for the eggs/fry ?

A female and male betta should NOT be put in the same tank. What I have been told is that the female will lay eggs, then you remove the female and add the male. He should fertalize them (if he doesn't think it's a buffet). I'm not exactly sure about the breeding habits but that's just what I was told at the lfs.

I thought that bettas were bubble nesters.. That the male made bubble nests.. not sure though...o.o;
What I have been told is that the female will lay eggs,
Maybe not i dunno.. thats just what i thought though o.o

A female and male betta should NOT be put in the same tank. What I have been told is that the female will lay eggs, then you remove the female and add the male. He should fertalize them (if he doesn't think it's a buffet). I'm not exactly sure about the breeding habits but that's just what I was told at the lfs.
"Majorly Wrong :!: " Never listen to that LFS again :evil:

Read/research the links you've been given, they have excellent info.
This has been covered before, try using the search engine here before posting, this place and other sites are goldmines of knowledge :wink:

This is my reply to a previous thread here at AA.

Allright! You want to "TRY" and breed Bettas....
Its not always easy but its very rewarding my wife has succeeded in this endeavor before. The real trick is raising the fry!
A few good places for info are
http://www.bettastarz.com/home.htm , http://bettatalk.com/ and http://nazarenenexus.com/betta_ed/breeding_bettas.htm .
Some of our favorite books are " The Guide to Owning Siamese Fighting Fish" by Gene Wolfsheimer and "Bettas" by Marshall E. Ostrow.

Talk about rough sex... Preparation is everything with breeding Bettas,
10 gal breeding tank (is ideal) with a tight lid, plant cover for the female in the corners, no substrate, very light filtration (sponge or box),
temp 80'-85' (82' is ideal), conditioning the breeding pair is essential with lots of very nutritious food and so is the introduction process, you can't just throw them in the tank together. The female should be presented to the male in a floating jar, specimen tank or behind a clear tank partition. The male and female will be very excited about each other and then your male will prodeed to build the nest or do improvements on a existing nest. The female will show vertical mating stripes when she's ready or horizontal fear stripes if she's not, she should be trying her dang'dest to get out to the male before releasing her. Mating may happen promptly or not, DO NOT leave the female in over night! Like I said its rough sex and quite interesting to watch.
Then theres the fry to think about with their very specific food and care needs. You will need to have live food ready for them e.g. vinegar eels, whiteworms, infusoria, and BBS are prime foods for these very tiny fry. Some breeders will feed only BBS since only the stronger fry can eat them and hence only the strong survive the first week or two, but some also feel that BBS does not provide enough nutritional value by itself. Your call.
Did I mention that the food must be "live".

Do your research and Goodluck!

the male makes a bubble nest, put the female in, they do the dance of love, the male carries the eggs from the bottom of the tank and places them in the bubble nest, remove the female because the male will keep her as well as other fish away

Thanks for all the great advice !!

Ill be researching like crazy....i havent decided for sure if i want to do it, mainly becuase i know nothing about it.........at least not for now.

Thanks so much ! : :D

Back
Top Bottom