Breeding Issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started with 4 guppies, 2 males and 2 females. The males quickly died, and so did the females. But one of them gave birth before she died. And now those fries are breeding. Most of them are inbred though. I have over 30 guppies, because their thing is... well... breeding! It's annoying how they're breeding so quickly. I just got another batch. How can I prevent them from breeding, but I'm not going to seperate them with a divider, since I'm about to set up my 55g. I could always sell them, I'm happy to do so, but how many do I sell? I have a ton, but not as much as 50 guppies since I only have 25-30. It's been annoying me, having to be limited to what fish I get, since these guys won't stop breeding. Should I just sell them?

You could sell them or seprate male/female in 55G tank as long as they get along with tank mates.

2 large common plec
2 silver sailfin mollies
1 red wage/pineapple swordtail

And the guppies. They get along really well, in fact, they sometimes group together with the mollies

How can most of them be inbred? they should all be inbred going on what u have said.

Only about 5 are fine, the rest are inbred, because one of the original males bred with one of the original females. She gave birth to 5 females and 3 males. Then all 4 of the original fish died. Kinda see where it went down? Those 3 bred with ALL the 5, by accident, I didn't know till it was too late...

I'm pretty sure someone else will address your overstocked issue.

But the only way to stop guppies breeding is to separate the males from the females. ;)

Back
Top Bottom