Bubble nest? Who did that? (pictures included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaBry

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is the 2nd time in the last 2 weeks that i have found bubbles on the heater in my tank, I have 3 types of female egg layers that are egg laiden and I don't know who is responsible because I didn't think any of these types place bubbles around their eggs. Check out the pics and let me know, what you think. I threw in a pic of the Betta too, because I had heard they make a bubble nest but this didn't look like any betta nests I have seen pics of.

img_940026_0_820b90291e8434c204c9ae6ad73da9bf.gif

Other inhabitants of my tank:
- Several Ghost Shrimp
- 1 male fiddler crab
- 1 Dalmatian Platy (sex unknown)
- 1 long finned guppy (male)
- 2 plecos (unknown sex)
- several assorted mollies

So what do you think? Who is responsible for the bubble barbecue?

Last edited:
Quick note of the pics, I have 6 black skirted tetras and 3 of them are quite big. On the Danios, there are 5 danios and 3 of them are also quite big but are all way to fast for me to get pics of. Sorry about the inconsistency of the photos, they are just too darn fast!

I am under the impression that Black skirted tetras are "egg scatterers." I don't know if this falls under scattering or not...

I am pretty certain that bubble nests are only built on the surface of the water. It's definitely not the mollies, guppy or platies since they are livebearers. Tetras are egg scatterers and this is definitely not a picture of egg scattering. Ghost shrimp carry their eggs and they look nothing like that. The plecos would produce large eggs and they'd most likely be orange or brown orange.

I'm thinking that the bubbles are just that...bubbles. It is nothing more than gas that has been removed from the water and collected in one area. Maybe a better pic will help to determine what has actually happened but it looks like nothing more than bubbles to me. I can't see any evidence of eggs.

Thank you for your insight. I will see if I can get a better pic but it is in a somewhat bad location in my tank for pics. I wasn't really sure what was going on there... Thanks. (y)

The first time I noticed them, i didn't think much of it, but with so many egg laden fish I figured maybe they had something to do with it. I also noticed one of my large mollies mouthing the bubbles and several of the shrimp picking them over. I guess they were just being playful or curious, maybe? Thanks for your thoughts!

Yeah, the only fish I know of that make bubble nests are labyrinth fish like your betta, and they all build them on the surface

I use Marineland stealth 250 heaters I always get bubbles on the lower outside of the heaters until the Bio-Slime forms on the outside surface.

I use Marineland stealth 250 heaters I always get bubbles on the lower outside of the heaters until the Bio-Slime forms on the outside surface.

Let me start by eating my foot...:foot: and wiping the egg off my face :eggface:And washing that down....:pepsi:

Now moving on, I think you guys must be right. I didn't think about dissolved gas exiting the water via bubbles on the old heater but it makes a lot of sense. The back up filter (a Cascade 600 in tank filter) points toward the heater and blows a lot of bubbles into the water. So does anyone know how to hide a thread so i may hide my embarrassment for asking a stupid question....:oops:

But seriously, thanks everyone for taking the time to offer your help. :D

~Bryan

You think you asked a stupid question then you should see some of the dooseeys i have asked in the past. the only stupid question is the one NOT asked IMHO!

I'd leave it up, someone may have the same question later on. We'll only mock you slightly, you are Kentuckian after all. :p haha, JOKING of course. I'm just across the river.

CTD - thanks for the assurance, and jrp thanks for the jibe...I giggled...a little. But yeah I really don't feel that bad about it, just a little silly because I am a big fan of Achems Razor and that is definitely the simplest solution...

I believe his name was Occam.
Both spellings are accepted for the principle of Occam's Razor or Achem's Razor-to my knowledge. But if we are gonna be picky then actually it was named for the Franciscan friar William of Ockham-the spelling just changed over time. As far as vernacular is concerned, both occam or achem are accepted but for the purist it is Ockham's Razor.

No matter how you slice it, the point was bubbles coming from bubbles is a lot more practical than bubbles coming from fish, and thanks for the shrimp egg advice on my other thread.

CTD - thanks for the assurance, and jrp thanks for the jibe...I giggled...a little. But yeah I really don't feel that bad about it, just a little silly because I am a big fan of Achems Razor and that is definitely the simplest solution...
haha, sorry, living right across the river I know a lot of people from kentucky. We always take jabs at each other, couldn't help it, all in good fun. :p

Back
Top Bottom