Cory Fry Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zamboni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! Since my Cory's just wont seem to stop spawning, and I'm having fairly good success rates without really putting much effort in, I was thinking of investing in a smaller tank to which I could transfer the eggs (or fry) and leave them there, using it as a grow out tank until they are of a reasonable size to find new homes for.

My question is, what set up and size would be suitable for such a tank? I'm wanting it to be as small as possible while still being big enough to house the young Corys until they are big enough to move on.

Hi! Since my Cory's just wont seem to stop spawning, and I'm having fairly good success rates without really putting much effort in, I was thinking of investing in a smaller tank to which I could transfer the eggs (or fry) and leave them there, using it as a grow out tank until they are of a reasonable size to find new homes for.

My question is, what set up and size would be suitable for such a tank? I'm wanting it to be as small as possible while still being big enough to house the young Corys until they are big enough to move on.

Congrats on all your eggs :D Step one in any breeding program is getting breeders to breed and it sounds like you got past that step ;)

The way I usually move fish fry that are in a tank that is too large to pour into another tank is to slowly siphon the fry into the new tank or into a transfer container. You can use a 1/2" or 3/8" sized clear plastic hose from the LFS or home improvement store to do this. The way to regulate the flow is to adjust the height of the container you are siphoning in to. (I use buckets when the new tank isn't close by.) The higher you raise the bucket the slower the water will flow in the hose. You want the flow to be fast enough that the fry can't get away but not so fast that they are in a suction tube and coming out the other side dazed or dead. (This is going to be a visual thing by you as there are no meters (to my knowledge) you can use for this ;))

As for moving the eggs, I'm not a fan of moving cory eggs as they are sticky and the risk of breaking them makes me cautious HOWEVER, I've known people who have used things like credit cards and window scrapers (that come to a pointed edge) to scrape off the eggs and transfer them into the other tank. It's your choice on this approach. I would suggest that if the eggs are hatching in the tank they are being laid in, why not wait until they are just about to become free swimming then transfer them in the water they are in to another tank?

As for tank size, that will all depend on the quantity of fry. If you have a spawn of about 100 fry, you can get away with a 10 or 15 gal tank for a short while while the fry adjust to eating fry food. Just remember, the more cramped they are, the slower they will grow. As for a growing out tank... the BIGGER the BETTER (y)

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom