Corydoras Love - Pic's & Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Scales

Aquarium Advice Addict
This thread is for all out there that have a soft spot in their heart for the playful, joyeous Corydoras catfish. I have three Julie corys in my 30g tetra tank. I named them my 3 stooges, "Larry, Moe & Curley". I awoke this morning realizing that Larry is really Larrette! LOL. She and Curley decided to spawn this morning right in front of me. What a treat! They paid me back in a big way for all my time, work and money to make their little world. Moe was all excited too, but he was the "odd man out" this time. They spawned from 8a to 4p today. They would stay in close to each other, then he would roll over on his side and quiver while she would put her mouth on his vent. It looks like she was taking his milt into her mouth. At the same time she did this, she would expel one egg and hold it very firmly clamped between her two ventral fins. She would go still and limp for about 15 secs. like it exhausted her to expel the egg. Then she would start frantically looking for just the perfect spot for her precious egg under a leaf. When she found just the right spot, she would put her mouth to it. I think she was putting the males milt on the spot. Then she would come up and place the egg EXACTLY in that spot. Then they would start the process over again. WOW! This is the greatest reward an aquarist can have.
Picture #1 is her taking the milt from the male. Picture #2 is showing her with her egg clutched in her fins.
I will also try and post the video of them spawning here. If it won't load, I'll post it on a separate post. It is a You Tube video.
Enjoy, Old Scales.
The video is http://youtu.be/J8rlfgB4jMw

Attachments

• DSCF0992.jpg
    DSCF0992.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0993.jpg
    DSCF0993.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom