Discus Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, my aunt is asking me a quite interesting questions, maybe you can help!

Her discus keep laying eggs then eating them! What should she do and why do they do this! Thanks for any help!

Hello, my aunt is asking me a quite interesting questions, maybe you can help!

Her discus keep laying eggs then eating them! What should she do and why do they do this! Thanks for any help!

If they are in a community tank, they will continue to eat them every time they lay them. Basically their mindset is these other fish are going to eat them, so ill just eat them to protect them. My rams did the same thing in my tank. When the discus lay eggs, your aunt will need to remove whatever the eggs are on and raise them in a separate tank.

If they are in a community tank, they will continue to eat them every time they lay them. Basically their mindset is these other fish are going to eat them, so ill just eat them to protect them. My rams did the same thing in my tank. When the discus lay eggs, your aunt will need to remove whatever the eggs are on and raise them in a separate tank.
They need to be with the parents though right? Any tips for helping raise them?

They need to be with the parents though right? Any tips for helping raise them?

I have never raised discus fry but I'm almost positive they don't need to be with the parents as long as you are raising them. If you move the parents and fry to their own breeding tank then they may raise them but sometimes they are just bad parents and continue to eat them. I'm not sure how to raise discus fry, maybe someone else can chime in.

I have never raised discus fry but I'm almost positive they don't need to be with the parents as long as you are raising them. If you move the parents and fry to their own breeding tank then they may raise them but sometimes they are just bad parents and continue to eat them. I'm not sure how to raise discus fry, maybe someone else can chime in.
Yeah i did a little research and like it is said that the fry live off the mucus of the parents for a while! so im not to sure!

ye4ah the diascus fry usually feed on the sides of the parents for around 2-3 weeks before they can take other food. raising them without the parents aint no easy task. thats why discus are expensive or one of the reasons why they are anyway. discus make great parents but need to be on there own if they are a breeding pair as other fish could make them eat there own eggs as the parents would rather eat them then let another fish eat them. hope this made some sense to you . anymore questions feel free to ask

ye4ah the diascus fry usually feed on the sides of the parents for around 2-3 weeks before they can take other food. raising them without the parents aint no easy task. thats why discus are expensive or one of the reasons why they are anyway. discus make great parents but need to be on there own if they are a breeding pair as other fish could make them eat there own eggs as the parents would rather eat them then let another fish eat them. hope this made some sense to you . anymore questions feel free to ask
Thanks, my aunt will be watching to see if the eggs are even being fertalized, and if so she may move the discus to their own"breeder" tank! It would be cool if she could get some babys, sell them and make some money haha.

even if they are a breeding pair. do you know that they are male and female as 2 females will spawn together. its alot of work raising discus up . alot of water changes and feedings. i do 3-4 feeds a day and i do the same amount of water changes everyday and you have to monitor the water parameters also and have a big enough tank to raise them in aswell.

youll need sponge filters if you havnt got any as they wont suck up the fry .

even if they are a breeding pair. do you know that they are male and female as 2 females will spawn together. its alot of work raising discus up . alot of water changes and feedings. i do 3-4 feeds a day and i do the same amount of water changes everyday and you have to monitor the water parameters also and have a big enough tank to raise them in aswell.

youll need sponge filters if you havnt got any as they wont suck up the fry .
Ill have to talk to her, I'm sure shes willing to take all the precautions and steps because hey, discus are amazing

Back
Top Bottom