EGGS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
8O

Ok, I'm not sure who the culprit is, but there appears to be some eggs in my mum's tank stuck on the side of the tank (tried to get a pic, but failed miserably), what should we do with them? Scrape them off and put them in another tank and see what they turn out to be (my bet is the recent addition, the snail) or leave them there?

Apocalypse_Gold said:
Probably the snail. I would remove the eggs. What kind of snail is it?

Remove and keep or remove and destroy? :?:

Not sure, it's shell is cone shaped, it appeared in my mum's water garden (might have been on a plant she put in there) and we thought it might help with the algae situation, which it seems to have done so...

Fishyfanatic said:
What do the eggs look like? What else is in the tank besides the snail?

Small clear balls with a dot in them...
(just fished them out and put them in a tupperware tub with some tankwater)

5 fish altogether, 3 fancy goldfish type fish, 1 Weather Loach and a Pleco (or could be another species of loach if www.loaches.com is correct)...

Oh, and a plant.... :mrgreen:

Sounds like typical pond snail eggs. I'd throw them out. They breed like crazy and you'll have a ton of them in no time.

Fluff said:
Sounds like typical pond snail eggs. I'd throw them out. They breed like crazy and you'll have a ton of them in no time.

Do you think my local pet shop would buy them? If not I'll just put them in the watergarden where I got the Parent snail from... :mrgreen:

I doubt it. They are pretty common almost to the point of nuisance. I don't think the lfs will buy them. They will do fine in the watergarden. I add them to mine every year.

Fluff said:
I doubt it. They are pretty common almost to the point of nuisance. I don't think the lfs will buy them. They will do fine in the watergarden. I add them to mine every year.

Well, it's the first time I've ever seen one here in the UK, unless I've just never noticed them, or it's an illegal immigrant!!! 8O

If the population gets out of control in the very small water garden, I guess the best thing to do is send them on their way like the nearby river or canal...
(assuming they are from this country originally...)

EDIT:
I think I've identified Mr. Snail as a Stagnalis Water Snail, see pic...

Some more eggs appeared today, so they've come out too, maybe it's cos the tank is warmer than the water garden and it's breeding thinking it's summer or something.... :?

Anyway, I'm going to see if these ones hatch and if they do I'll pop them in the local canal as I thing the river would be too fast-flowing for them...

Any further eggs will be wrapped in kitchen paper and binned...

It seems that mr/mrs snail has been busy in the garden too, found another snail in the water, it's a lot smaller than the big one so it must be younger, but anyway I've yanked it out and plopped it in the tank to help it's mum/dad clean the tank up... :D

No more eggs have appeared recently and the ones I fished out haven't hatched yet...

2cvbloke said:
Some more eggs appeared today, so they've come out too, maybe it's cos the tank is warmer than the water garden and it's breeding thinking it's summer or something.... :?

Anyway, I'm going to see if these ones hatch and if they do I'll pop them in the local canal as I thing the river would be too fast-flowing for them...

Any further eggs will be wrapped in kitchen paper and binned...

You shouldn't throw them in local canal. Setting loose tropical specimens in local ecological systems may harm them + it is likely illegal....If you want to get rid of them I think you should crush them so your fish can eat them or if you don't have any fish that will eat them just throw them in the bin or somewhere in the yard.

Billsgate said:
You shouldn't throw them in local canal. Setting loose tropical specimens in local ecological systems may harm them + it is likely illegal....If you want to get rid of them I think you should crush them so your fish can eat them or if you don't have any fish that will eat them just throw them in the bin or somewhere in the yard.

Well, the ones I had pulled from the tank have been popped into a drain outside and the watergarden has been emptied, and the pot was literally covered in eggs all over the inside!!! So they got blasted off with the hose and have been washed away, all except for one lot that look ready to hatch, so they replaced the ones from the fishtank and I'll let them grow up and I'll keep a few of them for myself. As for the canal, that's full of "immigrant" species, some of which have proved to be highly beneficial for the canal and some that have damaged it, however, I believe that simple water snails that probably originated in this country would not harm the canal, but I'm sure the fish that live in there would gobble up any unwitting snails!!! By the way, these canals are man-made back in the early victorian age so how fish got in there I do not know, probably someone getting rid of their fish bowl!!! :mrgreen:

Billsgate said:
clown loaches will feast on them :)

Just thought I'd update you all on the snails, they've hatched in a mini-tank I made from the unused cheese tub that came with my fridge with a borrowed air-pump and stone and I have about 30 or so snails living in there now all looking like little moving dots, I'm so proud they're alive..... :D

Back
Top Bottom