Expecting!!! (^_^)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindsayBlum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello breeding forum,

I just recently purchased a few german blue rams, and I found one this morning that is pregnant! This is the first spawn I've ever had, so I'm extremely excited! Also, this is the first time I've ever had GBR's--my first cichlids!

I guess now I'll be setting up a new 'egg laying' tank, due to tetras being in my community tank with the GBR's. I've heard that fast moving fish are very sucessful in eating up the eggs.

YAY :p

Congratulations!

Not trying to be a downer, but don't want this to happen and surprise you. It's not uncommon for Rams to need a few attempts until they get it right. By looking at the eggs you should be able to tell whether or not they get fertilized. White eggs are not, brownish eggs are. If the eggs go too long unfertilized, the parents will eat them.

I never had any luck with german blues. The one time I picked up a few, I didn't notice one of them had a tiny spot of ick. It quickly spread through my whole tank, killed all my rams, plus my angelfish, and several others. haha, I've been a little gun-shy since. Congrats though!

Congrats on the potential spawn. I agree don't be too disappointed if it takes a few tries to get it right.

slightly acidic water is very good for rams (as for ANY S.A. fish) also will help to keep the eggs healthier.

When I was breeding rams, I used a 1 gallon tank and dosed the tank regularly with hyrogen peroxide (I removed the eggs from the 10 and into the 1 as soon as it was clear they where fertilized)

My breeding operation ended when it turned out that the male was breeding the female too much, she eventualyl died from stress and exhaustion, she was laying eggs every 1.5-2 weeks for a few months....

Back
Top Bottom