Filtration for breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karahrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking in the future of starting some cichlid breeding. What is the best filter system for multiple tanks? With canister filters do you have to drill the glass? I have over the back filtration on all my tanks right now and they do great but I don't want the cost of getting every individual tank it's own filter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Canisters don't need drilling.

I think the best and cheapest thing you can do is buy the amount of sponge filters needed online and then buy a strong air pump. You will only need one airpump. Then get a lot of airline tubing and tees and divide the air between the sponge filters.

It is cheap, effective, and no fry die from getting sucked in.

Reactions: HN1
I agree with icy, a diesel air pump, you tube air driven breeding setups. You can run pvc with hose barbs to hook the tubing up to. Solid and neat.. sponge filters are very effective and quick and easy to maintain. with growouts you'll be doing enough wc's to remove detritus and leftover food manually..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another thumbs up for air driven filtration. I run sponges for fry, a sponge & box combo for juvies & adults. Run enough air to a large box filter loaded with floss & it will filter as well as any of the HOB or canister filters on the market, a larger pump will easily do this.

If you don't want to run PVC with pipe valves they sell pre-made manifolds. How many tanks do you plan on setting up, what size, and what species do you plan on breeding? This will give some idea of the pump size needed, as well as the air distribution system that would work best.

I wanted to do mainly peacock fry and may some lake Victorian in about 9 20 gals

Supreme AP-20 Air Pump

Easily run 20 devices off of this. One sponge filter in a 20 is plenty for fry, I do it for smaller ones all the time. It also leaves you a few extra lines, BBS hatchery & such is something to think about.

Distribution depends on how close the tanks will be to each other. You also have to take into account potential future expansion. If you are totally sure this is the biggest you'll ever get, go with a pre-made manifold, and a roll of air line, provided the 9 tanks are on one rack;

12 Outlet Distribution Manifold I'd go with a pair of these, never heard anyone say they need less air outlets!

Deluxe Flexible Airline Tubing Buy as much as you see needing, plus a bit extra. Air line does harden, sometimes gets ugly, I just buy a roll.

If the tanks are spread out a bit more, or if potential expansion is a possibility, go with PVC & pipe valves. The brass hat valves are a bit more expensive, but offer better control than the lever valves;

Brass Air Valve for PVC

Look around, outfits like Jehmco sell pumps valves & manifolds;
Central Air Pumps
Air Accessories

Personally I'd go for the PVC & pipe valves, I've expanded a couple times, room is maxxed out now.

Could I add potted plants in them without a substrate to help with waste

Sure, plenty of folks with bare tanks do that, provided you have the lights for plants. I'm too cheap in the light department.

Or you could get floaters that don't need rooting. Duckweed, hornwort, or anacharis come to mind because they grow fast and soak up all that ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the tank.

Another nod to an air system. We've run up to 80 tanks off a single blower for several years now. Depending on the species, plants of any kind may not be an option.

Awesome thank you for the help I've only done one batch of fry in my whole time of caring for fish. It was unexpected and a great learning process. The fry are still doing great 3 months later. Just starting to take color and get some personalities. I never thought I'd be doing stuff like this in my lifetime but these fish captivated my heart and I want to give them great lives and share them with so many people. I've even got my boyfriend and even a few of his friends into fish and doing it the right way so they can live long.

Take a look at Joey Mullen or Dustin. They probably both started with a 10 gallon with a goldfish or betta or even a bowl! Gary Lange probably started out just catching fish in a bag at the local creek!

This hobby is great because you start almost no where and end up, with diligence, with a new and unique perspectives and experiences.

Back
Top Bottom