Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Gourami BubbleNest skills | helping out the male?

Ok I have a new Gourami pair in one of my work tanks on my desk. I got them at the last auction on Sunday. They look great and are acting great BUT

The male is always trying to make a bubble nest. The filter seems to pull the plants apart on him and the bubbles seem to be moving to the edge. I am becoming exausted just watching him be persistent.

Is there anything I can to do help him make his life a little easier? The one good thing is that he is so busy making a nest that he tends to ignore the female for the most part.

Any experience / suggestions / comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

The Moose Man

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This may sound silly and I can't remember where I read it but don't some people use rings of styrofoam to help bubblenest builders? The ring holds in the bubbles. Like the ring off the top of a cup.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gouramis breath air Moose. Thus you don't need any surface agitation. Are you interested in spawning or do you just think the male is struggling?

If you want to try spawning give the male his own tank with some floating plants. When he completes the nest add the female. Remove the female when spawning is finished or the male might kill her.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Personally, I like using riccia, but the side of a styro cup works great, as does that styro net you get around apple-pears.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Thanks for all the replies! I have no intention of breeding them I just feel bad that the male is putting so much effort into making a nest and it keeps breaking up on him.

The two fish are from Toirtis from the auction and they are really really good looking. The female is showing reallly nice pink coloring and the male is just amazing. The male color's remind me of a discus..

I will have to remember to buy some NLS food thru Toirtis.... I missed it being auctioned off as I was whipping up snacks when it was sold.

Thanks Toirtis for the great fish!!!!

Moose

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
You are welcome...glad that they are doing well for you. The NLS I get from Neil ( http://www.Cichlid-Food-Canada.com/ ), but I can probably pick you up a jar when I go to the Edmonton auction.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, gourami, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com