Guppy Breeding Fishroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to start a guppy breeding room in about a month. It will include have 140 gallons of tanks bought at the Petsmart $1/gal sale. These will all be tens divided into-
24-2.5s
8-10s
Four tens would be used for female culls and female growout.
Four tens would be used for male culls and male growout.
6 2.5s would be used for trios.
18 2.5s would be used for birthing.
Does anyone have any suggestions on filters, heaters, air pumps, places to buy bluegrass guppies, and also food suggestions. Anything and everything will be appreciated.

I also need suggestions for some sort of small cleaner fish or invert
Please help!!!

You could look into drilling the tanks and running it all on central filtration. That would make it to where you wouldn't need but one pump and one (or a few, depending) big heater(s) in a sump.

If you want to avoid drilling the tanks, go with central air and run sponges on all the tanks. I bought an alita al-60 linear pump and it's completely silent and has run 65+ tanks with plenty of air left to spare. You could probably get by with an al-40 or smaller. It also might be cheaper to just heat the room to the desired temp rather than run dozens of heaters, but it'd probably be uncomfortably hot in there.

Honestly, I think you'll end up needing more grow out tanks based on my experience with guppies and endlers. What are your aims? Production of established lines or selective line creation?

Edit- Snails and central air with sponges are good suggestions.

Jetajockey-I think I will run it off sponges, now that you suggested it
HN1-I'm going for selective breeding and have found an outlet for most of my babies as two to three week old fry

Back
Top Bottom