Guppys laying eggs not fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mileymoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this normal my two female guppies have latex eggs not fry why has this happened looking now I think they came out of the orange one because the eggs are pail orange and the blue one seems to have black eggs in her belly please help

Hi Miley,

I have heard of a few Livebears that accidently laid eggs. This is considered a miscarriage or an abortion (if I am correct). Is there more stress in the fish tank? Were any new fish added? Did you net the fish when they were due?

All of these can cause fish to spawn before they are ready to give birth.

kitty2234

My Molly dropped 15 eggs followed by 30 fry on her first pregnancy but she was enormous , I thought it was strange but she's had 2 more pregnancies all with 30 fry and no eggs :) I didn't put her in a breeder box for any of them, I caught the fry as she had them and put them in it for a few days then transferred them to my 25litre nursery tank .. No males now so hopefully no more babies !

Hi Canary,

In Mollies, it can take 1 male 1 time, to have up to 8 sets of fry. She saves some sperm for future fertilizations.

kitty2234

There has been alot about livebearers laying eggs on the forums lately and I would say from my readings, they probably dropped unfertile eggs due to stress

I'm just worried about her now she started to sleep at the bottom but still swims at the top, when do you put them in the laying box, I'd be scared to risk her giving birth with the others because I have to pearl goramis and the male sucked the eggs through the laying box and hasn't forgotten

Back
Top Bottom