Help! Almost all my fry died!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostmarbles0520

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 18 healthy fry this morning, and now only 5 are barely ok.

We have them in a 2.5g tank, heater and air pump. Feed baby brine shrimp and first bites food.

They were fine when I moved a plant from one tank into theirs, and then an hour later they were dying one by one. Couldn't control their bodies, were floating sideways. I immediately moved them into a fish bowl with healthy water from our main tank, and emptied the 2.5g. The plant wasn't from the main tank, but our breeding tank. (My husband had taken the filter out but kept the intake running, and was putting the old brine shrimp hatching water in there. He wanted to breed them in there, so that the fry could eat once we moved them in.)

I think this screwed up the ph levels and the plant from that tank made the water toxic. The few that are left are barely hanging on, anything I can do?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The exact same thing happened to me I have one left out of the 4 I had,
They were fine then I looked at them half an hour later and 3 were dead or dying floating on there sides,

I still haven't found out what caused this as my water was all fine, how old are they mine were a month and a few days old, the one I have left is now just over 2 months, I need to find the answer to this as I have a new batch of over 50

Sent from my fish phone

These were less than 2 wks old. Born 8/16 & 8/20.

Really sucks! ? But the mama fish are already looking plump again, so I have a few weeks to figure this out before there are more....??

I have three guys left, I put them in the breeder net in the big tank, hoping some good water would help them.

Hopefully the ones left are the strongest one and will survive,

What I did when it happened was emptied the tank and scrubbed it out with water, put some water out of my main tank in there, about a quarter of the total amount, topped rest up with fresh water, as I had a sponge filter I squeezed that out in a bit of fish water to keep te bacteria in there, cleaned heater, I don't have gravel as I can't see the food as good to clean it up every day, put fish back in(I'd only got the one alive as this point)

Every day since I've cleaned food off the bottom, change a little bit of water, and so far (touch wood) he's been perfect

Hope that helps a little, it's horrible when this happens, keep us updated

Sent from my fish phone

A couple of things to think about.

First, small fry are super sensitive. Small changes in water chemistry can kill them. Touch to raise fry in a 2.5g tank because of this.

Dealing with uneaten food in fry tanks is a pain because it breaks down into ammonia.

One thing that I like to do is run a sponge filter in another tank. That way, when I need to raise some fry I can just move the cycled sponge filter into the fry tank.

Yea I do the sponge filter in another tank one, better to have it always running and ready to use just in case,

With my fry I've always changed the water well enough to clean all food off bottom everyday sometimes a couple of times it's even harder to put enough food in for one little cory on its own lol, just waitin for little cory to get big enough to go with adults, It won't get eaten but don't want it to get hurt

Sent from my fish phone

The last three died. We tested the water and nothing jumped out as terrible or even elevated.

Back
Top Bottom