HELP-I'm about to be an unplanned parent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mogens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently finished setting up a 135 gallon. Got everything going well. Added fish from am existing tank. 2 angles,2 neon tetras,4 siamese algae eaters,2 swordtails. 2 loaches. Have had all fish for 2 or more years. I just noticed today that my angles have laid eggs on a large plant leaf. I have NEVER had angles lay eggs. What should I do to protect and raise the fry.
Thanks,Mogens

The parents will guard the eggs, you can try to help raise them if you want. Other than that the other fish will probably just eat them the second the parents let their guard down.

First option is move the eggs and the pair to another tank but if you don't have a tank already setup then it can be a risky option. The second option is put filter floss over your filter intake to keep the fry from getting sucked in and wait and hope fish don't eat the fry. I would say go with option 2.

Thanks for the info guy's. Got home today,all eggs gone. Someone had a buffet. have set 5 gallon fry tank. If I put a piece of slate in tank and the eggs are laid on it can I simply take slate out and put in fry tank? I have a sponge filter and an air stone in fry tank. Thanks,Mogens

Thanks for the info guy's. Got home today,all eggs gone. Someone had a buffet. have set 5 gallon fry tank. If I put a piece of slate in tank and the eggs are laid on it can I simply take slate out and put in fry tank? I have a sponge filter and an air stone in fry tank. Thanks,Mogens

Make sure they are actually gone. Angelfish are known to move their eggs. Do you see them spending more time in another spot then usual? How long have the eggs been there? It only takes around a week or less for them to hatch.

They were all on one plant leaf. Leaf is clean now. Fish are swimming as normal all over tank. Eggs were ther for two days

They were all on one plant leaf. Leaf is clean now. Fish are swimming as normal all over tank. Eggs were ther for two days

Yea probably eaten. Sorry they didn't survive but on the bright side, you clearly have proper conditions in your tank for breeding and they will breed again. (y)

Back
Top Bottom