Help! My fry are escaping the hatchery!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I bought a floating hatchery for my guppies and swordtails after finding babies in the tank a few weeks before. We put our heavily pregnant guppy in it and a few days later we counted 10 fry. The problem is they one by one escaped through the slots at the side never to be seen again. Has anyone got any advice on how to keep future fry in there until they are big enough to survive tank life? Thanks

Do you have a pic of it or a link for a pic of it?

One thing I recently found out is that adding too much food in the small area can taint the water quality inside the space and kill fry. I lost my 2 fry in a breeder net box.

You are better off getting a 10 gal, stuffing it full of java moss-add moss, 1-24" under counter kitchen light from FartMart and a heater. Put mom in and watch for fry. When you see fry remove the female back to the main tank. There are also breeder traps that allow fry to drop through the bottom, again you need a spare tank. Save fry whe you feel like it or just let nature do her thing.

This is the hatchery. It can also be split for 2 females. The fry got through the slots at the sides.

Attachments

• 20161029_094444.jpg
    20161029_094444.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20161029_094454.jpg
    20161029_094454.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 20161029_094424.jpg
    20161029_094424.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 148
Looks like your gourami is sucking them through the slots???
Lots of floating plants or anything in the breeding trap may help ,but a fry against a gourami has few chances.....
Another tank like henningc said is best option...

Not seen Gary eat any but the dannios sure are fast! Might look out for some more plants then. Our local petshop dont seem to have many plants to choose from. I don't mind a few fry becoming food but at I at least want to have one out of the lot! ��

Get a different hatchery. If the slots are big enough to let the fry out it is the wrong type hatchery. You might want to try a large Marina Hang on Breeding box. They work pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom