Help!! - platy fry question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saaebn

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello :D

I could really use some platy fry advice quick! I was just cleaning around my sons 10 gal tank when I got to noticing something flickering in the corner. Once I looked closer I realized that it was our first fry!! I began watching it for a few minutes only to see it sucked into the filter. I shut everything off and opened up the filter to see about 5 dead fry in the bottom. I was able to rescue two live ones and pour them back into the tank. My LFS said that my aquaclear MINI filter would be safe with my sons red wag platy and any fry that he might have- i can see that they are wrong. SO, what do I do about the filter? Do I leave it off? Please help- we are new at this and he has been so looking forward to this he will be so upset if they are all dead when he gets home from school .

thanks- the ever vigilant mom,
stacie

Get a sponge and put it over the inlet. the may still stick to it but they will have a better chance. you need filtration. You can't leave it off for 2 weeks until they are big enough.

Get some floating plants. This will give the fry a place to hide from adults and rest spots as well. None of my fry got sucked into the filter and are doing fine (similar powered filter).

Also you can get some sponge and stick it in the filter intake. The water flow will be slightly reduced but it will prevent fry from going up there.

The platys will eat there own when they are that small. When they get to a point they look more like a fish than eyes with a tail, the adults let up a little rule of thumb is if it fits into there mouth its potentially food.

ok- I will do the sponge thing. another question- then the should I put the other pregnant platy in the plastic bredder that came with the tank???

stacie

It will be easier if you do. then the fry will be safer and try to scoop up the others to. does it have the grate on the bottom?

then the should I put the other pregnant platy in the plastic bredder that came with the tank???

Just be careful that you don't put her in the breeder too soon. It will stress her and could cause an early delivery. One suggestion is to put a few pieces of a fake floating plant into the breeder with her. It just might calm her down enough to allow a normal delivery.

Back
Top Bottom