Hold again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
When can my electric yellow lab hold her fry again? The fry just died and wondering when she might hold. Anyone know? Do they hold again ?

Holding...

When can my electric yellow lab hold her fry again? The fry just died and wondering when she might hold. Anyone know? Do they hold again ?

The first question has to be "Why did the fry die?" The answer to that question might answer your other question.
If they died because the tank went bad, she should spawn again after the situation clears up. If they died because she never released them, you have to figure out why she didn't release them (most likely she didn't feel it was safe for the fry to swim free. That's an issue! She may not spawn again for the same reason.)
If they died because this was her first spawn, this is typical and nothing to worry about. She'll spawn again.
You see, nothing just dies for no reason. That's the challenge of the aquarium hobby.

Hope this helps (y)

Andy Sager said:
The first question has to be "Why did the fry die?" The answer to that question might answer your other question.
If they died because the tank went bad, she should spawn again after the situation clears up. If they died because she never released them, you have to figure out why she didn't release them (most likely she didn't feel it was safe for the fry to swim free. That's an issue! She may not spawn again for the same reason.)
If they died because this was her first spawn, this is typical and nothing to worry about. She'll spawn again.
You see, nothing just dies for no reason. That's the challenge of the aquarium hobby.

Hope this helps (y)

I was going to tell you but it was depressing once my fry died it just wanted me to give up all my fish it hurt that bad. I put her in a bowl and I had to help her for some of them because she was flipping out. Also your catching the fish trick worked !!! Well once most of the fry came out I put her back in her tank where she was. I smashed a fry by the gravel moved in the bowl. Wanted to take gravel out but didn't think :/ then I put a air pump in the bowl and a heater. In the morning the water was cloudy and the fry were dead. The temp was around 76 degrees. I fed all the dead bodys to the malawi tank. They loved them. Coulda been a mistake also fed a dead Platy fry just now :/ (bad fish weekend). Think female had more in mouth but now gone :/

Sorry to hear this....

I was going to tell you but it was depressing once my fry died it just wanted me to give up all my fish it hurt that bad. I put her in a bowl and I had to help her for some of them because she was flipping out. Also your catching the fish trick worked !!! Well once most of the fry came out I put her back in her tank where she was. I smashed a fry by the gravel moved in the bowl. Wanted to take gravel out but didn't think :/ then I put a air pump in the bowl and a heater. In the morning the water was cloudy and the fry were dead. The temp was around 76 degrees. I fed all the dead bodys to the malawi tank. They loved them. Coulda been a mistake also fed a dead Platy fry just now :/ (bad fish weekend). Think female had more in mouth but now gone :/

Okay, first things first...
A bowl is not the right place to put the babies. They should have gone into a tank with a sponge type filter and water from the breeding tank. This keeps the continuity of water. The babies won't handle change as well as the adults will. The temp should also have been the same as the breeder tank. You also should have kept the female in the separate tank with the babies until they were eating on their own. Then she could be removed and acclimated back into the breeder tank. The babies would then be growing out in the tank by themselves.

As for the female flipping out, wouldn't you? You were just in your nice little home, minding your own business, taking care of the kids when all of a sudden, something started chasing after you. If you had just quickly placed her in that new tank, she would had calmed down rather quickly because she would have seen some protection for herself in the form of some rocks or pvc pipe or planter pots and the water would have been no different from where she came. Her babies would all still have been there and life would go on.

I would believe that once she settles down again back in the breeder, she'll spawn again in the future. What you can do is set up a sponge filter in the breeder tank so that it will start to accumulate the beneficial bacterias and you'll be ready for the next time you have a spawning. When you are ready to move the female, take the sponge filter and some water from the breeding tank and move them into the new tank. Set up a few hiding places and then place the fish into this new tank. Let nature work from there. Once you observe the babies away from the mother, you can try to feed them. If they are eating, you can remove the mother. (Let them eat a few days before doing this.)
Another technique, if you are too nervous about moving her, would be to use some black or dark colored plexiglass as a divider for the female and set up the sponge filter inside the area to maintain water movement and filtration. You want to use the dark glass so that the other fish can't be seen and the female should feel more secure about releasing the fry. The bad part about this is that the fry will be difficult to remove from here and she won't spawn again if they are still around.

As for my netting technique, I've been using it for over 40 years. Works like a charm every time :D

The key to successful breeding is to be prepared for it. It is always more important to save the breeders than the spawn because the fish will usually spawn again so you will have another chance.

Once again, sorry to hear of your results but you'll know what not to do the next time.
Keep me posted (y)

Thanks getting a 5-10G for her next time!!! I know what I did wrong and next time I will correct it! :)

Andy Sager said:
Go with the 10 gal :) More space is better to grow out the fry

Budget :/ will get 10G if I can hoping making 10G shelf this weekend for fry! When can they go back with the parents??

Mixing FRY

Budget :/ will get 10G if I can hoping making 10G shelf this weekend for fry! When can they go back with the parents??

Once you have separated the fry from the parents, you are not going to want to put them together again. Leave your breeding tank for just that, breeding. Grow out your babies in the 10 or larger aquarium until they are big enough to sell to the LFS or can start another collection with. Breeders are for breeding, Babies are for selling/trading/ growing out for next generation spawning. Once separated from the parents, the adults will not recognize these smaller fish as their own and may eat them. This is why you need plenty of tanks if you are going to breed fish seriously. :)

Keep me posted (y)

Andy Sager said:
Once you have separated the fry from the parents, you are not going to want to put them together again. Leave your breeding tank for just that, breeding. Grow out your babies in the 10 or larger aquarium until they are big enough to sell to the LFS or can start another collection with. Breeders are for breeding, Babies are for selling/trading/ growing out for next generation spawning. Once separated from the parents, the adults will not recognize these smaller fish as their own and may eat them. This is why you need plenty of tanks if you are going to breed fish seriously. :)

Keep me posted (y)

Oh ok! :) I will she might take a long time to spawn again :/ will keep you posted again.

If you already have an extra heater and filter, you can pick up a 10 gallon tank at wal-mart for $12, or petco/petsmart has $1 a gallon sales every couple of months... and craigslist is always great for picking up tanks with accessories :)

KlcoKN said:
If you already have an extra heater and filter, you can pick up a 10 gallon tank at wal-mart for $12, or petco/petsmart has $1 a gallon sales every couple of months... and craigslist is always great for picking up tanks with accessories :)

Thanks I should check wal-mart I bought a tank at petco the 1$ per gallon. I found a couple 10Gs on CL for around 40$ but they were gone :/ might just get 15G kit for 40$. I don't know but I get paid Friday and might sell a couple fry!

Back
Top Bottom