how are mollies SUPPOSED to breed? such a noob. (x

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiddomagic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i know, ive sexed my 4 mollies.
1 male balloon molly
1 male balloon molly
1 male lyretail molly
and 1 female balloon molly
--
i know, the ratio isnt how its supposed to be. its supposed to be for every one male, there needs to be two females... :facepalm:
but know i know the sexes and somehow, only one out of the balloon mollies is trying to mate with her. my only lyretail molly is trying to mate with her too.
but i dont really KNOW what to expect when they're DOIN' IT.
all i see is this
---
*male molly sticks anal fin into female- stays in for like a second
*female runs away
*3 minutes later they meet again and do the same thing
---
is the anal fin supposed to stay that long, or waay longer?
help please, ive never bred fish before. (x :banghead: :blink:

Uhm, you aren't going to be able to train them...trust me, they know the process VERY well :)

I would advise, however, to get some more females in there and/or cut down on your males if you have the room. Three males to one female are going to run that poor female ragged and the males could end up fighting with each other.

can you explain to me what they look like while mating?
because all i see is the female running away as soon as the male sticks his anal fin in... o__o

Livebearers are all pretty, uhm, prolific when it comes to breeding. Guppies are probably the easiest but mollies and swordtails come in a very, VERY close second when it comes to reproducing.

They're the bunnies of the aquarium! Lol. When you get more, don't get more balloons. They have a hard time giving birth, and are deformed.

ive been observing her yesterday and today, but i dont see any change to her appearance, behavior, and/or diet.
she looks normal, plump like normal.
ill try to see what changes she has in the week.
mated at-- june 14.
check on-- june 21. xD

im pretty scared, since mollies hold sperm in them, am i correct?
i cant have little baby mollies every month! ;n;

thats the thing, i dont want a lot of babies...
i only want like 1-3 to survive...

Is it true that guppies and mollies and cross breed? I've read that and didnt know if it was true. If it is, what kind of babies do they have and are the mollies a good addition choice for my 55g male guppy tank or so it be my 20g female tank?

Back
Top Bottom